Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 550-077cb
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My first 2 posts were flagged as spam for no real reason, or maybe I was posting in the wrong place, but here it goes one last time:

I have an old Pavilion desktop 550-077cb that I bought somewhere around 2015/2016, and it has a single band mini PCIe wireless card connected to something that looks like a M.2 port. The card has two wires going into it, and it carries both 2.4ghz Wi-Fi and BT. 

I would rather replace this internal adapter if possible. I found some matches online, but many sellers have this note about their adapters not working with HP laptops, so I would like to know if my desktop pc has the BIOS whitelist issue, or if I can go ahead and buy a dual band mini card to replace the existing one.

I've been using this computer with wired internet for many years, but I moved to a new place a couple of months ago and started using Wi-Fi. The thing is, the 2.4ghz band caps at 72mbps, and I could really use the 5ghz band, so I bought a TP-Link USB adapter. Sadly, this adapter keeps disconnecting, and sometimes the computer won't even recognize it for a few days, and the return window is already closed.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

According to the parts list for your PC it comes with a Broadcom BCM943142 wifi/bluetooth adapter.

HP PartSurfer

Since you have indicated that the Broadcom card has two antenna wires connected to it, you should be able to upgrade to this dual band AC wifi card with Bluetooth...

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0    HP Part # 710661-001

You can find that model wifi card on eBay.  Search by the HP part number, not the model of the wifi card.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

According to the parts list for your PC it comes with a Broadcom BCM943142 wifi/bluetooth adapter.

HP PartSurfer

Since you have indicated that the Broadcom card has two antenna wires connected to it, you should be able to upgrade to this dual band AC wifi card with Bluetooth...

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0    HP Part # 710661-001

You can find that model wifi card on eBay.  Search by the HP part number, not the model of the wifi card.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. So this means this computer doesn't have the bios whitelist issue, right? I just want to make sure of it before I order the part.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

That is correct.

I don't believe that there are any whitelists in HP desktop PC's made in 2013 or later.

HP Recommended

Thanks, I just ordered an adapter and hope it works.

HP Recommended

Anytime. 

Glad to have been of assistance. 

Please post back and let us know how your PC's WiFi card upgrade project went. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.