Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Omen 870-210

My son got me some things to upgrade my computer like a 1tb SSD , better graphics card , 16g memory and an 8th gen I5 cpu.   The problem is my motherboard won’t work with an 8th gen I5.   I went and purchased a new B365M DS3H Gigabyte motherboard and I can’t figure out how the wiring from my old motherboard connects to the new motherboard?   On the old mb most of the connections seemed to be color coded and on the new one some of the connections don’t even look the same. Could someone help me with how the connections work.     The wires are not marked so it’s hard to tell what to plug them into in the new mb?   Any help would be greatly appreciated 

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@dls0680,

You are creating a new computer. As such, the existing WIN 10 OS is not valid to that board.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

@wb2001 wrote:

@dls0680,

You are creating a new computer. As such, the existing WIN 10 OS is not valid to that board.

Hello
although as has been found it is very difficult to replace a motherboard from a manufacturer pc like HP, this is normally no longer valid!
Microsoft says this:

Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change

When you make a significant hardware change to your device, such as replacing the motherboard, Windows 10 might no longer be activated. 

Make sure you associate your Microsoft account to your digital license to prepare for hardware changes. The association enables you to reactivate Windows using the Activation troubleshooter if you make a significant hardware change later. For more info, see Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change 

If you don't have a digital license, you'll use a product key to activate

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12440/windows-10-activate

Under certain conditions it would therefore be possible, it may be necessary to recover the key before modification
But, that is likely to be very complicated, one does not have here enough information / documents on the various connectors etc

the best would be either to return everything, and to look for elements compatible with the motherboard
(maybe this : )

Otherwise, go to a professional with everything, if competent he should get there by comparing the two motherboards!

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.