Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
EliteDesk 800 G1 SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hewlett-Packard
Motherboard Product 1998
BIOS Version/Date    Hewlett-Packard L01 v02.21, 12/17/2013
SMBIOS Version 2.7

RAM   =  16 GB DDR3

220GB SSD

We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are.
- Anaïs Nin
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

You should be able to purchase a USB type C/PCIe adapter online at Amazon or Newegg, and others.

Your PC's system board (see Parts and Service guide, page 4 (Link)) has two PCie x1 slots and one PCIe x4 slot available for expansion.

Regards

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

You should be able to purchase a USB type C/PCIe adapter online at Amazon or Newegg, and others.

Your PC's system board (see Parts and Service guide, page 4 (Link)) has two PCie x1 slots and one PCIe x4 slot available for expansion.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thanks for the prompt, pretinent reply!

Now that it's been determined that USB C *can* be added, would you know whether or not ths type of expansion card requires a power source, and if so, should I also anticipate the purchase of cable(s)?

- Anaïs Nin
HP Recommended

Hi Chaloots,

You're very welcome.

This card should derive power from the PCIe slot.

Shop around. Check the prospective USB card specs at the maunfacturer's site.

USB type C riser cards I have looked at don't require supplemental PSU power.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thanks again, Grzwacz !

I'm so thrilled to learn that despite its age and specs, my recently purchased 800 G1 has what it takes to make a step up in transfer speed and, with apparently my own limited competence level, plus no additional necessary parts!

My previous Windows desktop was a Core2Duo, USB 2-only Optiplex 780. After doing a fair amount of investigation it became clear that the job of successfully installing a USB 3-capable expansion card in that computer was beyond my skill level. That, and I didn't trust myself. By comparison, slapping one into the 800 G1 should be a piece of proverbial balclava.

This is my first-ever HP computer purchase and I must confess that so far I'm pleasantly impressed. Much like the previous Optiplex, my EliteDesk was a refurbished business model, only it came equipped with a 4th gen i5, 16GB DDR3 RAM, a 240GB SSD and USB 3 ports (finally!). Not into bleeding edge tech specs (obviously) or a gamer, with the exception of doing some photo editing with PhotoShop Elements or Luminar, my PCs don't get to wheeze from exhaustion all that often. With non-demanding digital behavior like that, and living on a fixed income, I have come to firmly believe that there is no parallel, comparison or better bang for the buck than similar slightly vintage, former business refurbs. Even if I was savvy (and confident) enough to entertain the notion of building my own Windows 10 Pro budget PC, I couldn't have assembled it with similar specs for a tad over $300 spent on the 800 G1.

In any case, I have since searched for and found a USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C & Type-A PCI Express x4 Host Adapter Card on Amazon. Grazie again.

- Anaïs Nin
HP Recommended

Hi Chaloots,

Happy to have assisted you.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.