Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Prodesk 600 G1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello 

I have a HP prodesk 600 g1 and the sata power for HDD come from the motherboard but there is no information on how much power it can deliver. So i would like to know if anybody has an idea on how  much current it can delivere through the plug SATAPWR0 the board number is 696549-002

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

the issues is when helpers never sell THIS HP PC.

I HAVE.

and HP does not have SATA power cable on THIS PSU as you just now said and is true.

no goal told at all,  RAID BOX> what?  the stock MOBO has 5 drive cable do you need 10 drives is that it?

HP does not speck that jack but is limit by 2 things,

that jack power will the lesser of.:

10amps  18AWG (yellow 12vdc wires)

or the PSU limit of say 1/2 the 240watt PSU  , 120 div 12 = 10 amps for sure. if CPU load is less more is on tap at your jack.

HP does not spec,. the jack, never seen it.

if exceeding 10amps get a real PSU, and the adapter.

my PSU is new MODERN SINGLE RAIL , PSU with 60amps on tap to all HDD, and we can go way higher.

that means the only limit on mine is the rules on 18AWG wire, that is always limited to 10amps. each plug. SATA.

so that would be 30 drives possible my PSU. (or PSU  cable counts max , no 2 PSU same on ATX market ever)

NO warranty answers by me.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

From the picture of the HP 696549-002, it appears to have 4 SATA ports.  The typical SATA desktop drive uses a SATA connection and a power connection.  The power connection comes from the power supply, not the motherboard, and is the longer of the two connections on the drive. 

In answer to the question, however, the power supply is listed as 320W for the HP ProDesk G1 600 Tower.  Depending on if the PC is a Tower, SFF or Mini, the smaller form PC's might not have that big of a power supply.  However, if all you are worried about are the number of hard drives, that would be more limited by the mounting space in the case.  The tower seems to be able to accommodate three drives in the drive bay.  A primary drive bay and two secondary drives.  Assuming the rest is "stock" there should be ample power for three drives.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

The rest is not stock at all ;=) and unfortunately as it is an OEM motherboard the power comes from the mortherboard not the power supply or at least not directly 

Thanks for the reply though

HP Recommended

OK.  Perhaps some pictures will illustrate what you want to know because the terms you are using vs what is typical nomenclature and terms does not correlate.  Hard drives do not draw power from the motherboard, they only have a data connection to the motherboard.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

I agree with you but it seems true only for "DIY" pc or of the shelf components but because this motherboard has been designed by hp to work with HP power supply it seems to not follow standard. It is one of the two connector circled in the picture of the motherboard i cannot remember which one and i don't have the hardware right now but the power connector are pluged into this connector and then to the drives and obviously the data sata are connected underneathmotherboard.png

HP Recommended

I can add 24 SATA ports to any PC like this, so is not this question

it is ONLY the ageless problem with non ATX PSU inside your PC, and only 5 SATA power plugs. there.

well one fix (ive done to all my hp and dells) like this is upgrade the PSU to real PSU using ATX to HP adapter, end problem.

SATAPWR0 (what is this?) yes seen on mobo near jack, must be special HP Cable for that.

and you  want more,  power plugs.

here is hp cable set for sale. has 5 SATA ports is this no good?

600.JPG

HP Recommended

The number of plugs is not a problem i've done my own wirig to have more mut i d'ont know how much current i can draw because i'll have to check but i'm not sure if the power supply directly deliver all the current at all the voltage or if there is a DCto DC conversion inside the mobo for this plug.

Otherwise is there any problem if i switch the power supply ? are the pins the same for these motherboard and standard ones ? 

HP Recommended

much power it can deliver

answer #2 , the PSU you have has zero 15pin SATA power cables like real PCs ATX have. (we can convert yours, I can)

well the drive only uses 2amps max of 12vdc rail, 5v is nill (tiny)

The PSU is 16amp on 12v  (both cables added) up not exceeding 240watts the sticker says.

the PSU runs the CPU jack power and the other MOBO jack

this mobo jack in turn has power traces too SATAPWR0

this will be limited in worse case math (PCB layout) at  5 drives at 2 amps each, 10 amps.

on the other hand if HP put in a power plane for 12vdc to that jack SATAPWR0 then current is limited to the 18 gage wire

that is 18AWG 10amps total, 

math total w, minus CPU w, = remainder, Crude math not counting south bridge watts ++++)_

240w-50w=  190w (div 12)  = 7.5 amps if CPU is running in low power mode more amps  are on tap at the P

not sure at all me why power is and issue  with stock cables 5 drives, are you using  some huge array odd for RAID.

If yes, get real PSU. with real SATA Power cables,

and use the PSU adapter seen here. and any PSU works real ATX if not too deep 700watts is not too deep.

good luck  which I new end goal so could wax smarter. all my OEM pCs are converted but my z600 needs none.

240watt PSU?  is  that what is there, some are.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply and it is a problem for me because i've done my own wiring and i have more than 5 connectors ;=) but thanks will redoo the math with the power supply sticker and more investigation

HP Recommended

the issues is when helpers never sell THIS HP PC.

I HAVE.

and HP does not have SATA power cable on THIS PSU as you just now said and is true.

no goal told at all,  RAID BOX> what?  the stock MOBO has 5 drive cable do you need 10 drives is that it?

HP does not speck that jack but is limit by 2 things,

that jack power will the lesser of.:

10amps  18AWG (yellow 12vdc wires)

or the PSU limit of say 1/2 the 240watt PSU  , 120 div 12 = 10 amps for sure. if CPU load is less more is on tap at your jack.

HP does not spec,. the jack, never seen it.

if exceeding 10amps get a real PSU, and the adapter.

my PSU is new MODERN SINGLE RAIL , PSU with 60amps on tap to all HDD, and we can go way higher.

that means the only limit on mine is the rules on 18AWG wire, that is always limited to 10amps. each plug. SATA.

so that would be 30 drives possible my PSU. (or PSU  cable counts max , no 2 PSU same on ATX market ever)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.