Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP SLIM 290-P0014
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This PC came with one 8 GB DDR4-2666 RAM, but it has 2 memory slots.  I can't tell from the web pages whether the max that this model can handle is 8 GB total or 8 GM more in the second slot for a total of 16 GB.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Adding a compatible 16 GB memory chip to the existing 8 GB one should work fine.

The memory may only run in single channel mode with that type of configuration though.

Normally, memory has to be installed in matching capacities for it to run in dual channel mode.

However, if you plan on going the distance, it would be a waste of money to buy another 8 GB chip only to remove both of them if one day you decide to upgrade to 32 GB.

24 GB running in single channel mode would be a bit better than 16 GB running dual channel mode.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi, is it this one ?

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06066476

Product number 3LB72AA

You must check directly what is installed
For an addition, you will need exactly the same module.
Otherwise, sometimes you have to replace both
You can use the scan here, it helps quite often (free to buy what you want next, other brand)
It is indicated :

8 GB
  • Amount: 8 GB
  • Speed: PC4-21300 MB/s
  • Type: DDR4-2666

• Dual channel memory architecture
  • Two DDR4 UDIMM (288-pin) sockets
  • Supports up to PC4-21300 (DDR4 2666)
  • Supports 4 GB and 8 GB DDR4 UDIMMs
  • Supports up to 4 GB on 32-bit systems
    note:
    32-bit systems cannot address a full 4.0 GB of memory.
  • Supports up to 8 GB (unbuffered) on 64-bit computers

it would be the maximum, but sometimes we can install more, it is just what is validated by HP! it's up to you to see if you take the risk of buying a module

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Hi:

As Prométhée mentioned, sometimes you can install more memory than the HP specs indicate.

Below is the link to the crucial memory report for your PC.

Memory RAM & SSD Upgrades | hp - compaq | hp slimline series | HP Slimline 290-p0014 | Crucial.com

According to the above report, your PC can support 2 x 16 GB of DDR4-2666 MHz memory for a total of 32 GB.

The processor and chipset your PC has supports that amount of memory.

Intel® Core™ i7-8700 Processor (12M Cache, up to 4.60 GHz) Product Specifications

So, if you do want to max out the memory, you have a place where you can buy compatible memory.

What I normally do is enter the memory part number I am interested in buying on Amazon and normally it is a couple of bucks less.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the info, this is very helpful.  One more question...  As I stated, I currently have one 8 GB of ram installed, can I add a 16 GB to the second slot for a total of 24 GB?  I've heard that it is recommended to have the same size in each slot, but I don't know why that mixed sizes would cause any issues.  Thanks again.   

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Adding a compatible 16 GB memory chip to the existing 8 GB one should work fine.

The memory may only run in single channel mode with that type of configuration though.

Normally, memory has to be installed in matching capacities for it to run in dual channel mode.

However, if you plan on going the distance, it would be a waste of money to buy another 8 GB chip only to remove both of them if one day you decide to upgrade to 32 GB.

24 GB running in single channel mode would be a bit better than 16 GB running dual channel mode.

HP Recommended

So sorry, but I'll tell you the opposite @DWRAK99 
If you installed 8 GB more, and it works for a total of 16 GB, it will already be good since as mentioned, we cannot guarantee the operation beyond the 8 GB confirmed
If you try to install more, it may be completely unnecessary.
this computer doesn't even have a graphics card, just because you will have 24gb doesn't mean you'll have a noticeable gain!
Chances are you won't even use all 16gb in full.
I tell you, because with a more efficient computer and by playing games, I do not reach the limit of 16
Save your money for something else, your best bet would be to consider installing an SSD instead.

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

I added 16 GB of RAM to the 8 GB I had and it is really helping out on performance.  Thanks for your advice.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.