Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Omen Obelisk 875-1040st
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, 

My desktop (Omen Obelisk 875-1040st) came with a wired keyboard (TPC-C003K), which is a relatively small sub-optimal keyboard. One major problem with this keyboard is that the function keys (F1-F12) share special functions such as volume up/down and etc. 

The default functions of these keys are multimedia features not the default F1-F12 keys. Is there any way that I can lock these keys to be real function keys. This keyboard does not have any indication of function-key-lock and I couldn't find any information from anywhere. 

Thank you in advance.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@windysky,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I recommend you check in BIOS whether there is an option to disable the function keys.

To disable or enable the function key (fn) in the BIOS follow the below steps:

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  • Turn on the computer and immediately press the f10 key repeatedly, about once every second to open the BIOS setup window.
  • Press the right-arrow or left-arrow keys to navigate to the System Configuration option.

• Press the up-arrow or down-arrow keys to navigate to the Action Keys Mode option, and then press the Enter key to display the Enable / Disable menu.
  • Select the desired mode:
  • Disabled: Requires pressing and holding the function key (fn) while pressing one of the f1 through f12 keys to use the action indicated on the action key.

For example, on some computer models, if the Action Keys Mode is Disabled, pressing the f11 key will minimize and maximize a web browser if open. Alternatively, pressing and holding the fn + f11 keys will mute the sound.

The action keys may vary depending on the model of notebook.

• Enabled: Requires pressing only one of the f1 through f12 keys to use the action as indicated on the action key.

For example, on some computer models, if the Action Keys Mode is Enabled, pressing f11 will mute the sound as indicated on the action key. Alternatively, pressing and holding fn + f11 will minimize and maximize a web browser if open.

The action keys may vary depending on the model of notebook.

• Press the f10 key to save the selection and restart the computer.

• The function key (fn) option can be reset at any time.

If the option is not available in BIOS then you will not be able to disable the function keys and it is designed that way.

Hope that answers your question and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your proposed solution. Unfortunately, my BIOS does NOT have this option available. My model is 875-1040st. Can you please check if this option is available on this model? 

HP Recommended

@windysky,

I checked the BIOS and there is no option to disable the FN keys in the BIOS.

If the option is not available in BIOS then you will not be able to disable the function keys and it is designed that way.

Hope that answers your question and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for checking. I can't really say this is the worst keyboard I have ever used for the past 35 years, but for sure this is the most frustrating one to use. 

Thanks,

HP Recommended

@windysky,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the same problem on the same computer and keyboard. I checked the BIOS and all keyboard settings I could find in the computer. I think it's really odd the keyboard function keys cannot be adjusted, especially for a gaming computer as many games use the function keys (f1 - f12) and needing to press the 'fn' key a lot.

I will be throwing the keyboard in the trash when I pick up a new Razer one. Really discouraging that HP would include such a sub-par keyboard with a gaming computer. I am not looking for a fix, but would like to include my vote for the HP team to include an update to allow this function to be changed as to not disappoint future customers.

Thanks 

HP Recommended

Exactly the same problem. A gaming computer that is delivered with a keyboard that cannot be used for gaming. That's really too bad...

HP Recommended

@Chankel

I understand that you are unhappy with the Keyboard functionality and it doesn't meet your gaming requirements

I will put your case across to the concerned team

We will require few details. I have sent you a private message, please reply back with the requested information

Please check your private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile.

Next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

My solution was just buying a new keyboard. This keyboard was by far the worst keyboard I have ever used. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.