Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

The only approach I have found is to not turn my HP Envy 27-p014 off.  At some point maybe HP or someone can provide a better solution.  But for now, it is so difficult to control the cursor well enough to disable the touch screen function that I can't take the chance the PC will be totally unuseable. 

HP Recommended

I am also having the same issue, but even when I keep the PC turned on, the thouch screen will be re-enabled after so long (an hour or so).  I have even tried the hard boot, that was recommnended, but to no avail.  

Any suggestions would be great. 

HP Recommended

Tim Fossette of HP provided the info below I have copied.  I was only able to install the chipset part.  I can't prove it worked, but I have not had the problem again even though Windows apparently updated and closed yesterday.  I still leave my PC on just in case.  Hope this helps.  

Re: My HP Envy all-in-one touch screen won't stay disabled 

Hi @screenquest,

I recommend you to update the bios and the chipset driver from the below link and check if it helps.

http://hp.care/2nikIQ9

Let me know how it goes.

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Updated the drivers for BIOS, AMD and Intel graphis, to no avail.  Still the same issue.  Everytime I unintall the touchscreen, it comes back to be installed and I struggle to remove again.  

HP Recommended

Just to clarify--are you uninstalling or disabling the touch screen?  I tried both, it was the disabling that finally seemed to work.  (As long as the PC stays on, that is.)

HP Recommended

I'm not sure if your question has been answered, but the easiest PERMANENT solution for your problem is to update the touch driver to a driver that doesn't work (like USB Input Device). If you force install this wrong driver, the touch screen will permanently be disabled, even after restart. If you're have trouble clicking around because of ghost touches, just hold your finger down on a part of the screen that still works. That should feed the touch input algorithm enough to not interfere with your mouse input. So, go to 'Device Manager,' right click on 'HID-compliant touch' (or whatever it's called), click 'Update driver.' Go to 'Browse my computer for driver software' and click on 'Let me pick from a list of avaible drivers on my computer.' Uncheck 'Show compatible hardware,' scoll all the way down the right window pane and click on 'USB Input Device.' Click 'Yes' when it asks you, "are you sure you want to install blah blah blah." And that should be it; it's now permanently disabled. UPDATE:  Another device driver you can assign  to the touch driver is the audio driver instead of the USB Input Device (I can't remember if it was located under Altec, but just scroll down the list and find an audio driver). The reason I sometimes install this driver instead is because I noticed that the USB Input Device assignment can actually cause little intermittent problems and force you to have to unplug and replug your USB mouse or keyboard once in a while in order to get them to work again. If this problem occurs for you, just assign the audio driver instead.

HP Recommended
I finally figuered oit how to disable the touchscreen. Once you take off the back cover, there is a small connector with black taoe on it. The board is labled usb. It is just below the cou cooling fan. Disconnect it and that is it. Its the main connector for the digitizer board. Disabling the driver is not sufficient enough. I could care less about the touchscreen. Mine was defective like all the rest out there, but not broken.
HP Recommended

I was so frustrated with dealing with the ghost touches.  None of the googled answers worked for me. I finally saw this little entry and I chanced it and excuted the instructions by Racer X for his P014, even though I have a P021.  His instructions were sparse but I tried it anyway WITH GREAT SUCCESS!  So now I have documented this with photos in hopes to help other who have this problem.  It was so easy after all the time I spent trying all the other "solutions". So far, I have not had any issues.

This is a permaent solution to disable the touch screen on an HP Envy 27" P021. 

Take 2 rubber covers off at bottom.  For the P021, there is ONLY 2 screws locking the back cover on. (Other black hole is ear phone jack.)Take 2 rubber covers off at bottom. For the P021, there is ONLY 2 screws locking the back cover on. (Other black hole is ear phone jack.)Slide cover towards topabout 1/2 inch and cover should lift right off.Slide cover towards topabout 1/2 inch and cover should lift right off.Close up of inside corner.Close up of inside corner.Take this shield off.  Finger is pointing where the plug is.Take this shield off. Finger is pointing where the plug is.Pointing at plugPointing at plugRemove this plug, circuit board label says TP USBRemove this plug, circuit board label says TP USB

Easy peazy.  Just do everything in reverse , except the TP USB plug-DUH, and you're good to go!!  Hope this helps.

HP Recommended

So many people seem to be having this same problem. This is crazy. My touch screen would keep flashing white circles and making my mouse go crazy. Disabeling worked for several months until I upgraded from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro. I did a complete reset and fresh install of Windows 10 Pro but now the touch screen will come back on after rebooting and even after the computer goes to sleep mode. I will try this sound drive solution. Why is this happening to so many people?

Thanks,

David

HP Recommended

This is above my pay grade but it worked! Sounded a little crazy and I didnt want to freeze my computer. So far, 2 days no crazy touch screen messing with my mouse and flashing white circles every where. Maybe the HP people should try this!

Thanks....

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.