Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Example: hp rp5700
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello, I recently bought an hp rp5700  and when I got it I wanted to put in a core 2 quad q6600 it came with a Pentium e2160 I  bought the chip but when I put it in and try turning it on  it beeps once then says "1002 Error cpu not supported" is there a BIOS Upgrade for it to work with a core 2 quad q6600? 

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

The only suggestion I can offer would be to run the microcode update and see if that gets the processor to work.

Version 1.06 - Updates the Intel Processor microcode for processors having CPU IDs 6F6, 6F2, 6FD, 10676, and 1067A to patch versions D0, 5D, A4, 60F, and A0B respectively.

Here is how you update the microcode...

Below I have zipped up and attached 3 files.

The microcode update from your PC's support page.

The HP tool to make a USB flash drive bootable

The DOS command files you will need to update the microcode.

Get a blank USB flash drive and run sp27608 to format the drive so that it is bootable.

After the drive is formatted, copy the DOS System files onto the flash drive.  Just the files, not the folder.

Then copy the sp51243 microcode update files to the flash drive.  Again, just the files, not the folder.

Plug the flash drive in a USB port, boot from it.

You should arrive at a command prompt.

At the command prompt, type Flashbin,exe and press the enter key.

The PC should now update the microcode to the latest version.

Then shut down the PC, remove the flash drive and hopefully the processor will work.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi:

The only suggestion I can offer would be to run the microcode update and see if that gets the processor to work.

Version 1.06 - Updates the Intel Processor microcode for processors having CPU IDs 6F6, 6F2, 6FD, 10676, and 1067A to patch versions D0, 5D, A4, 60F, and A0B respectively.

Here is how you update the microcode...

Below I have zipped up and attached 3 files.

The microcode update from your PC's support page.

The HP tool to make a USB flash drive bootable

The DOS command files you will need to update the microcode.

Get a blank USB flash drive and run sp27608 to format the drive so that it is bootable.

After the drive is formatted, copy the DOS System files onto the flash drive.  Just the files, not the folder.

Then copy the sp51243 microcode update files to the flash drive.  Again, just the files, not the folder.

Plug the flash drive in a USB port, boot from it.

You should arrive at a command prompt.

At the command prompt, type Flashbin,exe and press the enter key.

The PC should now update the microcode to the latest version.

Then shut down the PC, remove the flash drive and hopefully the processor will work.

HP Recommended

It would not let me attach all 3 files in one reply.

HP Recommended

How do I make the usb bootable? I used the utilty to format the usb drive and did exactly as you said but it dosent boot off of the flash drive.

HP Recommended

The utility automatically formats the USB flash drive so that it is bootable and it should just work.

Try tapping the F9 key at the beginning of the HP welcome screen to get the boot options menu.

From that, select the USB flash drive and press the enter key.

I have used this method to update the microcodes on several different model HP business desktops, and gave this procedure to many other forum members, so I know that it works.

HP Recommended

Ok I figured out how to do it  and it is up to date but now the cpu fan and psu fan run full speed everytime the pc is turned on, The cpu temps are find but it runs at full speed I tried turning it down in the bios still runs at 100% all time please help.

HP Recommended

Sorry that the microcode update didn't let the processor work correctly.

Unfortunately, there is nothing I can do to help since that processor was not supported for your model.

The only processors that will work without any issues are those that are listed in the quickspecs document at the link below, page 5.

https://aristarch.ro/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Sistem-HP-rp5700-POS-PC-Desktop-Sff.pdf

HP Recommended

Ok, So I took the core 2 quad out and bought a new cpu it is a core 2 duo e7400 Which is on the list of compatible processors 

It works but now theres two issues first is "1801- Microcode update error Missing or invalid Processor microcode update Please contact hewlett-packard company for a new Microcode update to support the new processor stepping" Issue two is the fan ramping up to full speed all the time on psu and cpu fans I tried turning down the fan speed in the bios no luck Im not worried about the error but I want to fix the fan always at 100% because it is very annoying The cpu temps are always under 40 celcius

Im lost here.

HP Recommended

These are the only processors I see that are supported...

Processor and Speed -- One of the following
Intel Core2 Duo Processor E6400e (2.13-GHz, 2-MB L2 cache, 1066-MHz FSB)
Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor E2160 (1.80-GHz, 1-MB L2 cache, 800-MHz FSB)

Intel Celeron Processor 440 (2-GHz, 512-KB L2 cache, 800-MHz FSB)

If you are going to experiment with any more processors beyond the 3 listed, do not go beyond the Conroe E6700 2.66 GHz processor, or you will have all kinds of issues such as what you are experiencing now.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/27251/intel-core-2-duo-processor-e6700-4m-cache...

HP Recommended

Im sorry im so late but I put the core 2 duo e7400 in and flashed the bios now the fans are at normal speeds and everything is working, Thank you for your help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.