Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 795xt Desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to add a second hard drive to my HP ENVY 795xt Desktop, but after opening it up, there doesn't seem to be enough power connectors.Can anyone help with a way to add the drive. Made mistake of ordering too small a Drive C and no secondary.

Thanks

Terry

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, I double checked and there wasn't another Sata connection. I found a way to use my Anker USB Sata Adapter and I think it will work for my second drive. I as somewhat disappointed that thee isn't any better documentation of the motherboard. Not sure about the quality of the Motherboard, I know with the Dell XPS 8900 there was ample information on the drive. I didn't like the quirky part of the Dell. I had a Envy before and liked it a lot that's why I chose this one. I didn't do a very good job picking the additional hard drive and optical drive.

Thanks again

Terry

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome back to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

Is this your PC (Link)?

Can't provide assistance until we sort this out.

Regards

HP Recommended

The picture is like my computer. When I search for the HP ENVY 795xt Desktop  I just get the HP ENVY 795-000 Series. I have never seen anything like this computer. I have two hard drives from other computers. I want to use my Firecuda, but I don't see an extra power source for the drive.

HP Recommended

Hi Tigerworm27,

The specific product number of your PC should be on a sticker affixed to the chassis.

You can check the motherboard (MB) for the 795-0040xt at the following (Link). Or compare your MB to the MB in the image.

There are two SATA ports located at the bottom middle of the MB image near the CR2032 battery. Both ports may be in use if you have a SATA storage drive (HDD) and an optical drive now.

You may have a M.2 SSD operating system drive. Then you should be able to add a platter HDD using the open SATA port on the MB.

There is a six pin SATA power header near the battery. You may need a six pin SATA power cable to power the SATA HDD if you have an open SATA port on the MB.

This is new to me. I have never seen this MB configuration on retail MBs. The six pin SATA power header could be a power supply connection. Check the power supply for SATA power cables.

Regards

HP Recommended

Here's Product number: 4AB23AV  I will look over the motherboard. I have a 1 TB HDD  with 16 GB Optane. I appreciate the advice.

Thnanks

Terry

HP Recommended

Hi Terry,

You're very welcome.

4AB23AV is the 795-0040xt.

You have no open SATA ports on the motherboard if you have 1TB HDD + Optane and an optical drive. Plus the M.2 socket is in use.

The only options for more storage are to: buy a larger HDD or get a SATA to USB adapter/enclosure. Then use additional drives externally via USB.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi, I didn't get an optical drive, can I use it with the 2 TB hard drive? I already have a Anker USB to Sata Adapter that I am using now. I would like to get it off my desk.

Thanks

Terry

HP Recommended

Hi Terry,

You're very welcome.

You can use the open SATA port to run a second HDD. HP may have used a SATA II connection because optical drives have limited data throughput.

This means a SATA III HDD will run slower. 

The additional problem is finding SATA power to run the second HDD. I don't know what HP did in this respect. You need to power the second HDD. I thought you stated there are no additional SATA power connectors available to power a second HDD or SSD.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi, I double checked and there wasn't another Sata connection. I found a way to use my Anker USB Sata Adapter and I think it will work for my second drive. I as somewhat disappointed that thee isn't any better documentation of the motherboard. Not sure about the quality of the Motherboard, I know with the Dell XPS 8900 there was ample information on the drive. I didn't like the quirky part of the Dell. I had a Envy before and liked it a lot that's why I chose this one. I didn't do a very good job picking the additional hard drive and optical drive.

Thanks again

Terry

HP Recommended

@tigerworm27,

Sorry I came late to the issue.

Some important clarifications:   There are several issues with the 795 series..  Each varies PSU supports per installed level of GPU card. See next link per PSU.

1) The stock PSU is 310W.  Your can self- purchase the 400WThe 500W is not avail to self -purchase.

2) Normal config is an NMVe M.2 SSD (128 or 256GB). The option of a DVD drive added a power cable suitable for the DVD (on the end of the line)  and a power plug for a hard drive.

3) Adding a 2nd or 3rd hard drive requires a special 6 pinned power cable.  This cable has a motherboard socket and supplies power for 2 hard drives. The cost is 56 Euro.  Wait time is 5-6 weeks.

4) All 3.5" hard drives require HP Isolation Blue screws. (set of 4) to mount any hard drive.

Good but lengthy reads:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/HP-Envy-795-0030qd-3-5-inch-sat...

How to get inside without breaking power switch:

http://h22235.www2.hp.com/hpinfo/globalcitizenship/environment/productdata/Countries/_MultiCountry/d...

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.