Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690-00xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version: 19042.685

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz

RAM: 16GB

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

I am wondering what parts I need to upgrade to fit a NVIDIA RTX 3070 in my PC. I realised i would need an upgrade to my PSU but I'm not sure whether my motherboard is compatible.

Thank you for your time

Raffo

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Faced with a similar problem I bought a new motherboard, new big case (very important for airflow), new ATX power supply, new CPU cooler because OEM is low quality.  Because that is more cost efficient and also uses higher quality parts.  Because HP case is too small for many big cards and too small for adequate airflow.  And HP power supplies are noisy and odd sized.

In my opinion a RTX would generate too much heat for an OEM case like a Pavilion.

I think if you're willing to invest in an RTX series card it would make more sense to build around the card rather than try to make the HP board case and power supplies work with it.

Or you could see if a GTX 1650 super would give you a minor improvement and only needs one power connector.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.