Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Slimline Desktop PC 270
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I wish to replace a HDD in my desktop PC with a SSD. How can I find out if my PC is compatible?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Dear Old Geekster:

Again I wish to thank you for your assistance.

I was finally able to boot with the SSD. What I needed to do was select "Windows" Boot Manager" as the first/primary boot device (I was looking for the particular drive (SSD) and did not find it).

The PC now boots fine, and only one small problem remains. When I run backups, the backup drive I use becomes terribly fragmented (up to 40%). I will be contacting Acronis and EASEUS (the backup software I use). for a possible solution, as I believe there is a problem with the software.

If this problem develops again, or if I get the need to ask further questions, I will contact you again.

Sincerely Yours,

Howard Yager

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@hyag81100 , welcome to the Community.

What is the Product Number of the computer? I need this information to review the specifications of it. Please don't furnish the Serial # or other personal information. You can find the Product Number at the bottom of the page when you open HP Support Assistant.  There are several models in the 270 series.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

What is the Product Number of the computer? I need this information to review the specifications of it.

In response to your request (see above), the Product # is Z5L80AA

Thank you in advance for your prompt and professional response

HP Recommended

You are very welcome, @hyag81100!

You don't actually have to replace the hard drive (HDD).  There is a M.2, SSD, socket on the motherboard: One M.2 socket 3, key M.  Here is the Motherboard Specification page.  If you look at the section titled "Expansion Slots" you will see this information.  If you look at the Motherboard diagram, the M.2, SSD, socket is the bottom item on the right-facing side.  This will help you find it.

The "key M" means that it will support a NVMe M.2.  I believe it will most likely be a 2280.  You can read the guide in the link that I provided to better understand the meaning of these terms.  Here is a HP Knowledge Base article to help you with the transition.  The M.2, SSD, will increase system performance considerably over a HDD.

If you decide to replace the HDD, you will have to buy a SATA III drive.  Here are the specifications for it on HP Partsurfer.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your helpful information. If I understand things, the procedure to install and boot off a SSD drive is:

1. Plug in SSD Drive into M.2 SSD Socket (as labeled on the motherboard picture).

2. Clone HDD to SSD

3. Set BIOS to boot from SSD (How is this done)?

4. Set BIOS to AHCI for peak performance (how is this done). 

An additional question: Are the drive letters automatically changed (SSD to C:\  HDD to next available drive letter (D:\ E:\ etc.)?

This is a description of a SSD Drive (1TB) that seems to be compatible with my PC. Is it compatible?

Western Digital 1TB WD Blue 3D NAND Internal PC SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/s, M.2 2280, Up to 560 MB/s - WDS100T2B0B

I could send a picture, if you tell me how.

Thanks again for all your help.

Sincerely Yours,

Howard Yager

HP Recommended

You are very welcome, @hyag81100!

Here is the M.2 that you listed: https://www.amazon.com/Blue-NAND-1TB-SSD-WDS100T2B0B/dp/B073SB2MXT/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&hvadid=781341...

It is not correct.  It is SATA III and the key M socket uses NVMe.  The SATA drive has two slots and the NVMe has one slot: https://www.newegg.com/samsung-970-evo-1tb/p/N82E16820147691

If you look at the guide I provided in my first post, in the section titled "Keys and Sockets" you will see what I mean: https://www.atpinc.com/blog/what-is-m.2-M-B-BM-key-socket-3

It was inserted into the highlighted "key M".

The steps you describe and correct.  You will install the cloning software on the HDD and run it.  It will ask for the Target drive and that will be the M.2.  The Drive letter should be automatically changed.

HP Recommended

To Whom It May Concern:

Concerning previous replies to this issue, I finally obtained the proper SSD drive.  I installed the drive and successfully cloned the HDD drive to the SSD drive. I then shut the computer down and tired to reboot by changing the boot device priority to have the SSD drive first. No matter what I did, the SSD drive DID NOT COME UP AS A CHIOCE, AND I EVEN HAD TO REMOVE THE SSD DRIVE IN ORDER TO BOOT FROM THE HDD DRIVE. What am I doing wrong (if anything)? A PROMPT AND PROFESSIONAL reply is expected and would be most appreciated. Thank you.

Sincerely Yours,

Howard Yager

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @hyag81100!

The only suggestion that I have is disconnect the hard drive from the motherboard and see what happens.  If there are two drives with the OS it can cause problems.

If this doesn't solve your problem, you should contact the SSD manufacturer's Tech Support for help.  They are the experts on their products and should be able to solve your problem.

HP Recommended

Dear Old Geekster:

Again I wish to thank you for your assistance.

I was finally able to boot with the SSD. What I needed to do was select "Windows" Boot Manager" as the first/primary boot device (I was looking for the particular drive (SSD) and did not find it).

The PC now boots fine, and only one small problem remains. When I run backups, the backup drive I use becomes terribly fragmented (up to 40%). I will be contacting Acronis and EASEUS (the backup software I use). for a possible solution, as I believe there is a problem with the software.

If this problem develops again, or if I get the need to ask further questions, I will contact you again.

Sincerely Yours,

Howard Yager

HP Recommended

Dear Old Geekster:

This is a second reply to your last reply concerning this issue.

Once I was able to successfully boot from the SSD drive, I reformatted the internal HDD drive and I now use it for storage. I verified that the PC recognizes ONLY ONE system drive (the SDD drive). Thank you again.

Sincerely Yours,

Howard Yager

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.