Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Elite 7500 MT
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Dear Community,

I´m struggeling with an BIOS Update for mentioned motherboard installed in HP Elite 7500 MT computer.
Currently I´m looking to update to the latest version 8.21 Rev.A because w/o this mandatory BIOS Update these boards are supposted to don´t boot up with modern graphics cards like RX580 , GTX1060 etc.

So I find myself downloading the latest BIOS from the original HP Download page. When executing the file sp70266.exe I can see three files at the install location : Safuwin.exe , FOR_821.ROM ; Flash.bat

Firstly I want to point on HP´s weak doucumentation related to this process :

HOW TO USE:
1. Download the file by clicking the Download or Obtain Software button and saving the file to a folder on your hard drive (make a note of the folder where the downloaded file is saved).
2. Double-click the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions.

Copyright Copyright (c) 2015 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P.

Well , that´s pretty zero to none of help in my oppinion but okay lets keep on moving ...

When I start ( As Admin ) safuwin.exe an DOS Console shows up with short summary of possible commands and in the end it just says :

press any key ....

Done that ( with different keys ) , guess ! Exactly Concolse is just closing and gone w/o any action.

So is there any kind Ladie or Gentleman willing to explain me how to use this BIOS updater tool , that would be magic !

best and kind regards.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

While not exactly clear as to what you are doing, running the EXE file should start the process.  If you are double clicking on the Safuwin.exe, the needed parameters are not being passed to the commend line.  Safuwin.exe needs to be told what to do.  The flash.bat should be the one to start, which will pass the parameters on to Safuwin.exe.

It is intended to start the sp70266.exe by double clicking and it should run without the user needing to do anything else.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Hi TheOldMan ,

Well , if you mean double click sp70266.exe will do anyhting I´m afraid to tell it´s more ore less just unpacking mentioned three files to an folder called " sws setup " located on root of C: drive

It´s pretty obious safuwin.exe needs to be told what to do but what is the correct procedure ?
So should I kick off the process by double clicking the bat file ? Pretty sure I´ve tested this too and nothing happened but I´ll be fine to double check this evening , or should I start an CMD propmt as Admin and drag the bat into or start it out from CMD ?
Cheers

HP Recommended

Causing the Flash.bat to start should cause it to run but you would need to start if from inside the folder or it cannot pass the paramters to Safuwin.exe

If you open the Flash.bat file it should say something similar to

Flash.bat
...@ECHO OFF
...CLS
...safuwin.exe FOR_821.ROM /p /b /n /r /k
...@ECHO ON
Safuwin.exe

If you want to run Safuwin.exe from the command line, the parameters would be

.safuwin.exe FOR_821.ROM /p /b /n /r /k  and the FOR_821.ROM file needs to be in the same folder as the Safuwin.exe file.

The correct way to run files as Admin is to highlight the exe and right click to "Run as Admimistrator" instead of dragging to the command line. That will start the exe in the folder where you found it.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Allright here some Update :

I´ve tried to start the batch file ( as Admin ) , a CMD windows pops up for a second and is gone again 

Then I´ve started and CMD prompt as Admin , used cd c:\ command and executed flash.bat manually ...
Now the CMD windows keeps open but says :

Reading files ..... done
- System BIOS image invalid or corrupt.

Windows UAC and AntiV turned off , system is blank so there is no other SW installed except WIN7 x64 

Also I´ve checked the batch file and it´s pretty srange because of :

@ECHO OFF

CLS

mountvol z: /s

del z:\edi\hp\bios\current\*.bin
copy .\FOR_821.ROM z:\efi\hp\bios\current

mountvol z: /d |
safuwin FOR_821.ROM /p /b /n /r /k

@ECHO ON

Which Z: drive is he going to mount ? there are no Z: drives only C: ? or is he virtually creating one ?

HP Recommended

Hmmm  Yes it does seem to be at an impasse.

Yes it creates a virtual drive z:

BTW: what BIOS version is installed now?  What CPU is installed?

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Note ptretty sure but one of the first one Iguess , buts it defenitely starts with a 7.xx , and i5 2500 ( OEM installed )

And yeah , seems pretty hopeless at the moment but I thin I´ll go the " extra mile " and go till the bitte end , maybe try the AMIflash tool WIN and DOS and try to force the update and if this aint work out I´ll try to flash him trough SPI on the Recovery connectors otherwise I´ll get the chip out with the heatgun and flash the hell out of him :OpenSmile:

Thanks for you input mate !

HP Recommended

I actually was looking into the DOS flash tool, since you have the ROM file.  It can be done that way, perhaps.  Doing it from DOS might be successful but there is the risk of bricking the motherboard.  I did not mention it because of that.  Since you must have thought about it, then I will leave the more risky behaviour up to you.  There is a force flash command when doing it that way, if you feel compelled to try it.

Of course you could just get a more modern or a retail motherboard that will accept the newer graphics cards.

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.