Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ProDesk 600 G5 Base Model Desktop Mini PC

Hello,

the above desktop has two nvme slots, so I purchased nvme ssd to add one more in addition to the nvme ssd that is provided by default (sk hynix, 2280, 512gb).

However, after adding nvme ssd, the height of the second slot is too high, so the chipset of nvme ssd touches the bottom of the sata hdd cage.

I can only close the cover of my desktop if I force myself a little.

Is this how it was designedEven if one side is installed, shouldn't the other side be able to use it without difficulty?

The second nvme ssd is well recognized and works, but it is thought that the chipset touching the cage can strain the substrate board (bending).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@teddy_jeong,

You are welcome!

I see what you mean, intriguing -but I am not sure what to say. Clearly the secondary M.2 NVMe SSD slot was intended/designed by HP as a "fittable" and useable storage drive.  This is one of those occasions where remote access via this Forum falls short. I would have to handle it in person to find you a solution.

Perhaps @Paul_Tikkanen@Huffer or @DGroves can offer a helpful perspective.

[EDIT:] If this was my problem, I would be investigating/looking into if you can do without the hard drive cage and using  Velcro tape instead to keep your HDD or SSD in place.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@teddy_jeong,

Welcome to our HP User Forum!

The secondary/second M.2 NVMe SSD shouldn't cause the issue your described, that is not how the HP ProDesk 600 G5 Desktop Mini Business PC was designed, unless you added an M.2 NVMe SSD heatsink of some sort, which I don't think you did.

The M.2 NVMe SSD you mentioned:

NonSequitur777_1-1679189810077.png

Should fit just fine without causing the issue you mentioned:

NonSequitur777_0-1679189492279.png

Could you post a picture of your motherboard showing this (with the M.2 NVMe SSDs installed):

NonSequitur777_2-1679190192775.png

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

First, thank you for your kindness.

top view. 

20230319_202338.jpg

a side view. (It's a bit high, right?)

20230319_202354.jpg

It's a bit up.

20230319_202420.jpg

20230319_202536.jpg

20230319_202556.jpg

20230319_202629.jpg

I think we need some space at the top of the nvme ssd due to the bending of the substrate board and the heating problem of the chipset.

I LOVE the way HP is designed. They're still PCs I'm using.

20230319_203024.jpg

HP Recommended

@teddy_jeong,

You are welcome!

I see what you mean, intriguing -but I am not sure what to say. Clearly the secondary M.2 NVMe SSD slot was intended/designed by HP as a "fittable" and useable storage drive.  This is one of those occasions where remote access via this Forum falls short. I would have to handle it in person to find you a solution.

Perhaps @Paul_Tikkanen@Huffer or @DGroves can offer a helpful perspective.

[EDIT:] If this was my problem, I would be investigating/looking into if you can do without the hard drive cage and using  Velcro tape instead to keep your HDD or SSD in place.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

has the person changed or installed their own 2.5in hard drive?

it may be that the proper drive for this system  is one that is only 7mm in Hight

most drives are 9.5mm with some large capacity drives being 15mm in height

HP Recommended

Thanks to you, I found out one more thing, the height of the hard disk on my mini desktop was 9.5mm.

However, even if the hard disk was removed from the cage, the top of the chipset of the second nvme ssd touched the bottom of the hard disk cage.

20230320_211552.jpg

20230320_211603.jpg

20230320_211612.jpg

   

Oops. OMG.

HP Recommended

I don't want to conclude so tentatively because I will continue to love HP's design method.

Because the second nvme ssd has a larger capacity, I will migrate the first nvme ssd to the second and then leave the second slot blank. 

Thank you for your kindness until the very end.

HP Recommended

@teddy_jeong,

You are most welcome, good luck with all your endeavors!

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.