Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Elite 8300 ultraslim
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Installing a MXM video card into HP Elite 8300 ultraslim.
I get three long beeps at start up and system does not boot.
I know you can install MXM video card because your manuals describe removal in the teardown section. Also in the manual for" Illustrated Parts & Service Map" it Says "AMD Radeon HD 7650A (MXM) 687445-001" which is the exact video card I have.
Already updated to the latest bio firmware

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I now believe the problem is I'm using 135 W power adapter instead of 180 W power adapter.
Just ordered from spare part see if that fixes it. I like to thank everyone for their help but because nobody helped I only have myself to thinks. Great job HP great job

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Hi,

Did you buy part number 687445-001 from HP ?

http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?SearchText=687445-001

If not, please return that card and buy card from HP. Actually retail card and HP part are not the same.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Yes I bought the exact part. Because the system didn't come with one originally I'm thinking maybe there's a pin on the board that needs to be installed. Or something in the bios that needs to get configured before I install the card. But I've looked at both the things and can figure anything out.

HP Recommended

I now believe the problem is I'm using 135 W power adapter instead of 180 W power adapter.
Just ordered from spare part see if that fixes it. I like to thank everyone for their help but because nobody helped I only have myself to thinks. Great job HP great job

HP Recommended

Hi I am trying to do the same thing the card looks like it needs a cooler on it what type did you get my card didn't come with any hardware or cooler..

HP Recommended

I have an original heatsink that came off the 1 GB card. But it does not have a fan. I ended up using ((((OEM 0PGH1N Dell VOSTRO 360 INSPIRON ONE 23020 AIO GPU Heatsink w/ Fan PGH1N.))) Then just making a plug for it to plug into the UBS header that is located just in front of the card location. It snaps right onto the card no modification needed
If you would like the original heatsink send me a message through email at [personal information removed]  but like I said it doesn't have a fan but I guess the fan in the back of the unit was supposed to cool it.
I also doubled them in my unit one on the inside one on the outside with a Y plug for extra cooling. Although it doesn't really seem to need.

HP Recommended

I sent you an Email please check for it FPerry59

HP Recommended

hi y a was mxm graphics a significant improvement ..if yopucould let forum know. thanks (trying the same myself-possibly)

HP Recommended

Notebook checker says you get about 5% improvement. For me it was more about making the system everything and me. It does make certain application to run a little smoother.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.