Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
860-160se CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am looking to add an SSD to my computer.  Does anyone know the correct part numbers to order to allow the SSD to be installed in the drive caddies in the chassis?

Also,  I will need another SATA power cable by the looks of it.  I need an explanation of the various SATA ports on the mobo to know which one to plug the new drive into.

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Roughneck42,

Thanks for becoming a member of the HP Support Forums. I understand you are have question about upgrade your computer. I will be glad to help you.

Per HP part Surfer the screw is  

482291-001Screw - M3 x 5mmL, TT, FSLT, HI/TP

The cable is 

809377-001

Cable - SATA3.0, 185mm, ST-ST, for RF

The SSD are

696356-033

Hard Drive - SSD, GNRC, 512GB 2.5" SATA 3 6GBs

696356-035Hard Drive - SSD, GNRC, TLC 256GB 2.5" SATA3, 6GBS

Please keep me informed of how things went. 

If you require further assistance, let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help you.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution".
To simply say thanks, click the Thumbs up below! 🙂

Thanks.

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @Roughneck42,

Thanks for becoming a member of the HP Support Forums. I understand you are have question about upgrade your computer. I will be glad to help you.

Per HP part Surfer the screw is  

482291-001Screw - M3 x 5mmL, TT, FSLT, HI/TP

The cable is 

809377-001

Cable - SATA3.0, 185mm, ST-ST, for RF

The SSD are

696356-033

Hard Drive - SSD, GNRC, 512GB 2.5" SATA 3 6GBs

696356-035Hard Drive - SSD, GNRC, TLC 256GB 2.5" SATA3, 6GBS

Please keep me informed of how things went. 

If you require further assistance, let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help you.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution".
To simply say thanks, click the Thumbs up below! 🙂

Thanks.

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Greetings,

You can get a Sabrent 2.5 inch to 3.5 inch HHD Mounting Kit at Amazon if you have a problem using HP Part Surfer.

Works great on any standard 3.5 inch HDD cage.

Any SATA 3.0 cable of the correct length will work.

Where to plug the SSD SATA cable on the motherboard is straight forward.

Boot HDD or SSD will be on SATA0.

Optical drive will be on SATA2.

Plug the new SSD into SATA1 or the next available open SATA port..

Cheers!

HP Recommended

thanks it looks like part 654540-002 is the other part I will need.

update.  wow i was quoted an unbelievable amount from a HP retailer to buy this ($120 canadian) part.

looks like a simple part that I can find in my local computer store.  Not sure about the M3 screws but I think they might have something similar.

They will have a standard SATA cable as well I am sure.

thanks all the same

HP Recommended

Thanks for the port information.   I will give that a try when I get a SATA cable from my local computer part store.  They will have a 3.5 to 2.5 adapter like this one I would think as well.  The M3 screws look a little odd, hopefully they will have something similar

HP Recommended

Greetings,

Did you look at the Sabrent HHD to SSD adaptor available at Amazon?

It is 11.00 USD.

The kit includes SSD fine threaded mounting screws and low profile coarse guide rail screws needed to lock the Sabrent HDD adaptor in the drive cage.

I have used this kit many times on HP systems using horizontal drive orientation.

Jay

HP Recommended

HI

I did look at it but i didn't see that it had the screws included that I'd need.  I will see if Amazon.ca has it

thanks

HP Recommended

the part arrived and does fit thank again

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.