Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy Phonenix 810-470
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

hello. I bought two new ram sticks to install into my pc. It has four memory slots(from right to left) an 8gb, empty, 4gb, empty. Question, can I move the 4gb next to the 8gb one and then put the two new sticks together in the two remaining spots?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

That is correct.

Move the memory around, and the  PC should just fire right up.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi:

Apparently your PC allows you to run the memory in flex mode.

The picture of the motherboard shows two black and two blue memory slots.

For best memory performance (dual channel mode), you are supposed to install matching memory capacities in the same color slots.

For example:  if you have 2 x 8 GB and 2 x 4 GB memory chips, you should install the 8 GB ones in the black slots and the 4 GB ones in the blue slots, or visa versa.

You would not install an 8 in the black and an 8 in the blue, and a 4 in the black and a 4 in the blue.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply. And that makes sense. Looking at the motherboard installed in the computer, from right to left there's an empty black slot, then a blue slot with an 8gb stick, an empty black slot, and then a 4gb stick in the blue slot. The 8gb and 4gb sticks are factory as far as I'm aware cause its a 12gb PC.

HP Recommended

These are the two new sticks I bought I'm pretty sure they're the correct ones 

• TECMIYO 16GB Kit (2x8GB) DDR3 / DDR3L 1600MHz UDIMM, PC3-12800 DIMM, PC3 / PC3L-12800U Non ECC Unbuffered 1.35V/1.5V CL11 2RX8 Dual Rank 240 Pin Desktop RAM Computer Memory Module
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The specs sound right.

The problem is that 4 GB chip is going to slow down the whole works until you can replace it with an 8 GB chip.

The memory can't run in dual channel mode unless all slots have matching memory it them.

So, you will have 28 GB running in flex (single channel) mode until then.

HP Recommended

Should I just put one of the 8gb ones in for now then instead of both?

HP Recommended

There is no reason to do that because your PC is running in flex mode now.

I have no idea why HP would have configured a PC like that.

The only way your PC's memory would run in dual channel mode would be to only install 2 x 8 GB chips in the black or blue slots and remove the 4 GB chip, and you would leave the other 2 slots vacant.

HP Recommended

What would be the best, easiest way to swap these 4gb and 8gb ones out with these new 8's i bought without losing everything in my system? 

HP Recommended

I'm not really familiar with the difference between flex and dual channel ill have to do some research 

HP Recommended

You're not going to lose any data on your PC by replacing the memory.

The data is stored on the hard drive, not in the memory.

Read the service manual for how to remove and replace the memory.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03280829

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.