Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Compaq Elite 8300 SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I recently purchased a refreshed HP Compaq Elite 8300 and after migrating hdd image to an SSD drive I started experiencing frequent system freezes.  After some research and troubleshooting I concluded that the AHCI driver (from Windows 10/Windows Update) was at fault.  I installed the Intel RST 121.9.3.1000 rev A (sp66793.exe) for Windows 8.1 (64-bit) from HP's software and driver site.  This seems to have fixed the driver issue for me but the RST software will not open the GUI and does not report anything in the taskbar/notification area.

I downloaded Intel RST 17.2.0.1009 from Intel's site but the installer tells me that my system isn't compatible.

Is there a version of Intel RST that would work best for Windows 10 on my Elite 8300?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

I believe I have found a W10 RST driver/software package that will work for your PC in RAID mode.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25165/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interf...

Check your Intel RAID controller's hardware ID, and if it is the same as this one of these two, then the driver/software should work.

I think you will find that yours is the first one listed below.

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&CC_0104
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_282A&CC_0104

You will find the Intel RAID controller listed under the Storage controllers device manager category.

If you don't know how to find a hardware ID for a device, use this guide...

https://www.howtogeek.com/193798/how-to-find-drivers-for-unknown-devices-in-the-device-manager/

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi:

Unfortunately, the only W10 RST drivers Intel released are for those platforms with the 4th gen processors and newer.

The one you installed is the latest one I could find.

Even the Intel site has an older version that one (12.9.0.1001 (Previously Released    Date: 12/12/2013).

HP Recommended

Thansk for confirming Paul, I appreciate you taking the time!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If you are running the storage controller in AHCI mode, you don't even need the RST software, only the driver, which you can manually install by browsing to the unpacked driver folder in the C:\SWSetup folder.

HP Recommended

Thanks Paul.  I was running in AHCI simulation mode, but that is when I was having issues.  I had to change to RAID mode in BIOS in order to boot once I installed the RST.  The computer would not boot in AHCI mode after installing the software.

I thought about tying to uninstall the RST software and just using the driver, but hadn't gotten that far yet.  I won't be running a RAID configuration so assumed that I could remove the software side of it, plan to do in the next couple days.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

That's interesting.

I have the 8200 Elite CMT and mine works fine on W10 in AHCI mode.

HP Recommended

Hi:

I believe I have found a W10 RST driver/software package that will work for your PC in RAID mode.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25165/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interf...

Check your Intel RAID controller's hardware ID, and if it is the same as this one of these two, then the driver/software should work.

I think you will find that yours is the first one listed below.

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&CC_0104
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_282A&CC_0104

You will find the Intel RAID controller listed under the Storage controllers device manager category.

If you don't know how to find a hardware ID for a device, use this guide...

https://www.howtogeek.com/193798/how-to-find-drivers-for-unknown-devices-in-the-device-manager/

HP Recommended

It is an interesting issue, are you running a solid-state drive?

What confirmed my suspicion was Microsoft KB3083595, and since the storAHCI.sys driver that WIndows 10 installed was dated 2006 I figured I would try to follow that train of thought.

Rather than disabling MSI, and limiting some of the functionality of the drive, I thought updating the driver would be a better option.  I have not tried updating the firmware for my SSD yet, which I may still do to ensure that it's working at best possible I/O rates.  It is a Crucial CT256MX100SSD1 from 2014.

HP Recommended

Thanks again Paul, I will look into this when I have the opportunity.

I also found another collection of Intel AHCI/RAID driver links, which may be helpful to someone else in this situation.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, I am running an Intel 730 240 GB SSD

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/81038/intel-ssd-730-series-240gb-2-5in-sata-6gb...

You could try changing the drive controller to AHCI and clean installing W10.

The only drivers you really need to install would be the chipset driver from Intel, the RST driver (manually install just the inf), and the driver for the PCI Serial Port (which you can get from your PC's W8 driver page.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.