Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy TE01-0034
Microsoft Windows Server 2019

It looks like there is a free SATA port on the motherboard. Does it need to be enabled somehow? When I attached my external drive to the sata port, it did not work.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@EnvyTE01user,

Would you list the make and model of this external drive?

I have never heard of an external SATA drive enclosure that has a cable that ended in sata cable the same as the motherboard plug.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

OWC Mercury Elite Pro Dual-Drive. I have a cable that has an internal sata connection and an esata connection. I also tried a 

Star Tech 2 port SATA to eSATA Slot Plate to no avail.

HP Recommended

@EnvyTE01user,

In your initial inquiry, you said "found a Sata internal header".  Only 1 right?  Then why the dual eSata plate?

According to OWC manual, these units have two Thunderbolt 2 ports, one USB 3.1 Gen 1 port. Thunderbolt cable terminates to a Thunderbolt plug, and the USB3.1 terminates to a standard USB3.0 "B".   The Star Tech adapter is two eSata (outside on the plate) to two internal Sata headers.

What are you really trying to do?  Raid or single/separate drives. I ask because you bought a dual eSata plate.

What you need is an external eSata dual enclosure.     Just for research,  shop for it.

RAID      BJOD or raid modes

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

The motherboard has three sata ports. I didn't realize two were in use. I thought there were two free. The back of the unit has a Thunderbolt port and and esata port. It is labeled "E-sata".

HP Recommended

Sorry, it is a USB 3 port and an e-sata port. The picture you refer to is not the same as my unit.

HP Recommended

Here is what I have.

Dual USB Esata

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.