Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
pavillion 590-p0100na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, 

I would like to know if it's possible to upgrade the PSU and GPU of my pc (hp pavillion 590-p0100na). I would also be grateful if anyone could tell me the current capacity of the PSU that already came with the pc. I was thinking of upgrading to an RTX 2060, but I'm not sure if you can.  If these components are not upgradable, what components are? 

Thanks, 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@steve_or_47,

The HP 590 series, model p0100na is shown here.

The power supplies are HP proprietary designed, that means you can only use their design.  Here is a spreadsheet to help you. The real question is WHY?  Performance is based on CPU, RAM, GPU card and its RAM, and finally the PSU wattage.  You only asked about 2 of the 4. What is your goal ?    If a game, state the most intense !

You can see from the spreadsheet that the RTX 2060 requires an 8 pin PCIe power plug, and is rated at 175W.  You also have to consider the card length.  Try a cardboard template 4.3" x 10" and see what fits. Most users feel more confident at the 500W range.  All power supplies are rated in watts but did you know that rating is at MAX. Would you want to stress your PSU.  Efficiency suffers above 80% drawn power.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@steve_or_47,

The HP 590 series, model p0100na is shown here.

The power supplies are HP proprietary designed, that means you can only use their design.  Here is a spreadsheet to help you. The real question is WHY?  Performance is based on CPU, RAM, GPU card and its RAM, and finally the PSU wattage.  You only asked about 2 of the 4. What is your goal ?    If a game, state the most intense !

You can see from the spreadsheet that the RTX 2060 requires an 8 pin PCIe power plug, and is rated at 175W.  You also have to consider the card length.  Try a cardboard template 4.3" x 10" and see what fits. Most users feel more confident at the 500W range.  All power supplies are rated in watts but did you know that rating is at MAX. Would you want to stress your PSU.  Efficiency suffers above 80% drawn power.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Thank you, I was intending to at most play shadow of the tomb raider at 60fps mid-low graphics settings. But after doing a bit more research and reading your response, I have found out that it isn't possible to upgrade my pc.

HP Recommended

@steve_or_47,

Shadow of the Tomb Raider

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K, 3.40 Ghz or AMD Ryzen 5 1600, 3.20Ghz          Yours: I5+ 8400
Memory: 16GB RAM                                                                                                  Yours: 8GB, could go 32GB
Graphics: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB or AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB
DirectX: Version 12
And the storage requirements don't change. 

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.