Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Pavilion Desktop pc570-p088na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have had this HP Desktop i7PC since August 2017 but on 'Boot Up' it has recently started producing a short buzzing sound and a 'Blue Box' stating that there is a problem with the CPU fan with a Code of 90B. I have found that it seems to momentarily stick before starting for barely 2 seconds then the fan bursts into life with a sudden jerk after which it runs smoothly keeping the temperature well within the parameters.

I have checked it out and made sure that it is all completely clean, connected and running free, although there is a small end to end (in & out) movement on the shaft of the fan motor. So I suspect that in my case the fan requires replacing. But where EXACTLY could I get one?  It looks simple enough to replace i.e. 4 small screws and a connector. Unless of course anyone tells me its not that easy, in which case its off to the local repairer.

But I have noticed that this problem does appear many times one way or another on the forum for various HP machines with no actual pointers as to where to obtain a replacement fan for my particular machine. So I am a little concerned which way to deal with this problem.  Any help would be greatly appreciated folks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Barzey

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

To resolve the error, take the following steps:

1. Press Enter to clear the message and allow the system to boot to the Windows desktop.

2. Shut down the computer, and then inspect and clean the exterior vents to remove dust buildup by blowing air through the vent openings. Dust can accumulate inside the vent openings and around internal cooling components, preventing the removal of heat.

For more information on reducing heat inside your computer, go to HP Notebook PCs - Reducing Heat Inside the Laptop to Prevent Overheating or HP Desktop PCs - Reducing Heat Inside the Computer to Prevent Overheating.

3. After you remove the dust, turn on the computer. If the error message persists, continue with these steps.

4. Perform a hard reset. Performing a hard reset can reset recorded thermal values in memory and enable you to use the computer again, even if only for a short time to access and save any important files before service.

For more information on performing a hard reset, go to Use Hard Reset to Resolve Hardware and Software Issues.

5. In some cases, updating the BIOS might help prevent this error from occurring.

For more information on how to update the BIOS, go to HP Consumer Notebook PCs - Updating the BIOS (Basic Input Output System) or HP Consumer Desktop PCs - Updating the BIOS (Basic Input Output System).

6. If the error message still persists, contact HP.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Barzey

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

To resolve the error, take the following steps:

1. Press Enter to clear the message and allow the system to boot to the Windows desktop.

2. Shut down the computer, and then inspect and clean the exterior vents to remove dust buildup by blowing air through the vent openings. Dust can accumulate inside the vent openings and around internal cooling components, preventing the removal of heat.

For more information on reducing heat inside your computer, go to HP Notebook PCs - Reducing Heat Inside the Laptop to Prevent Overheating or HP Desktop PCs - Reducing Heat Inside the Computer to Prevent Overheating.

3. After you remove the dust, turn on the computer. If the error message persists, continue with these steps.

4. Perform a hard reset. Performing a hard reset can reset recorded thermal values in memory and enable you to use the computer again, even if only for a short time to access and save any important files before service.

For more information on performing a hard reset, go to Use Hard Reset to Resolve Hardware and Software Issues.

5. In some cases, updating the BIOS might help prevent this error from occurring.

For more information on how to update the BIOS, go to HP Consumer Notebook PCs - Updating the BIOS (Basic Input Output System) or HP Consumer Desktop PCs - Updating the BIOS (Basic Input Output System).

6. If the error message still persists, contact HP.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Good afternoon and thank you so much for your follow up. Actually I think I had previously found your advice given in/on the forum on this and been through all that you suggest.

My PC is a actually a Desktop PC570-p088a (i7-7700 3.60Ghz) with a HP82F2 (U3E1) Kaby Lake Motherboard and not a Laptop. But I have been through and covered all your suggestions including checking the AMI F.45 Bios dated 29/6/20 without any success. 

I find now that the Fan on the CPU is now starting for barely half a second then stops for approx. 2 seconds then as before roars into life and works fine thereafter keeping the Chip temperature (27-31) which I believe is well within limits. I have also found that if after switching off I restart it again say within15 minutes it starts fine; but if I leave it enough time to cool right down to room temperature then it sticks again as described. 

I am now firmly of the opinion that the Fan itself is faulty. So as such I have a trusted local Mobile repairer calling in tomorrow around 10am complete with a selection of Fans so we can hopefully replace this faulty original one. Would you like/may I keep you up to date on progress especially if the problem is cured?

Kindest regards

Barzey

HP Recommended

Well, the Mobile PC Technician attended today and on examination seemed to think it was something he calls a 'False Positive' because the Fan does keep the temperature well within the parameters required in fact quite cool in comparison to others. The PC itself is in fine working order apart from this problem. But none of the Fans he brought with him were the correct one, so he has noted all details and will try and locate the exact Fan required.

But like the rest of us whom are also experiencing this problem it does seem that these rather dubious fans are hard to come by. For some reason HP doesn't make it easy for anyone to obtain a replacement either. Perhaps HP themselves could inform us exactly where one can be obtained?

When I consider that I bought this machine to eventually replace my then ageing 'Medion Akoya P7360D MD 8855' which was half the price I paid for this one and the Medion is now TEN years old and still going strong; I feel that I am now fully entitled to state categorically that I am very disappointed with HP to say the least I am also sure that many other people must feel the same.

I will post the results on here should I be lucky enough to obtain the replacement and let everyone know if it was successful or not.

Barzey

HP Recommended

@Barzey

Thank you for posting back. 

Apologize for inconvenience caused,
Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, in order to bring your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. I am sending you a private message. Please check the mailbox icon in the top-right corner of this screen.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.