Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy 795-0010na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My desktop Envy 795 is the model where the side access panel is removed by pressing sideways a plastic release latch on the back of the machine (as opposed to removing a retaining screw), which then releases the panel and allows it to be drawn off towards the rear of the machine.

I have not needed to remove the panel since I bought the machine a couple of years ago, but now want access to upgrade memory.

However, when I press/push the latch, it moves only slightly i.e. is jammed or otherwise not working, and will not release the panel, which I then cannot remove.

Has anyone previous experience of this and any solutions for fixing it? If I cannot get the release catch to operate, it looks as if I may have to cut off the section of the panel which contains the protrusion on which the catch operates.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I have already opened a case with this type of latch, and I did indeed force it, but I did not need to break anything
The wrong closure, is plausible, so it would be stuck, but I cannot tell you to break the closure at the risk that it cannot be repaired
Up to you !

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

hi

from what you indicate it should be that easy
You shouldn't cut anything or anything other than doing this

it must match this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdnmFItWXKs

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/How-many-drive-bays-in-HP-Envy-...

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply.

I understand how getting the panel off should work, and I've also looked at the "Access Panel" section of that particular Youtube video.

The video shows the catch being pushed across to release, and then the panel slid back, lifted and removed. In theory, all dead easy.

However, with my machine, the catch does not slide across more than a couple of millimetres, and the panel doesn't release. I have tried this in several combinations e.g. pushing the catch, holding it there and then attempting to remove the panel. In fact, I've tried everything that would normally achieve the very simple aim, as shown in the video, of releasing the panel.

The panel has a small piece which extends down into the machine, behind the rear chassis metalwork, and the catch obviously uses this to retain the access panel. Without being able to open the machine, I can't see how the catch operates on the panel extension, but I should think it's a simple hook-style arrangement. As I have never touched this before, I can only surmise that the catch and panel were not positioned properly when the machine was finally closed up, or that there is some fault in the catch or the panel.

I have of course tried moving the catch up and down, as well as back and forth, in case it freed itself, but it is absolutely solid.

If the catch won't work through manipulation and/or some force applied, then I have no choice but to resort to cutting. The back of the machine has a hole where one would, I think, find the retaining screw or thumbscrew on simpler machine models that don't use the catch, and I can probably put a screw in there to hold the panel.

HP Recommended

I have already opened a case with this type of latch, and I did indeed force it, but I did not need to break anything
The wrong closure, is plausible, so it would be stuck, but I cannot tell you to break the closure at the risk that it cannot be repaired
Up to you !

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

Thanks again for your response.

I did persevere with the latch and, with a bit of force, some leverage and a lot of bad language, I got the access panel off. There's no obvious reason why it was so difficult, but I got there and upgraded memory.

I wasn't too impressed with some of the HP assembly of this machine. The bracket screws for the DVD cables had been partially put in and at an angle, and one of the tabs for the bezel had been broken off entirely. It wasn't in the machine, either. All in all, a bit of a "Friday afternoon model", as we used to say about poor assembly of Ford cars in the UK.

Anyway, I know how to get into it, which I will need to do again when I upgrade the NVMe SSD system drive to 1tb.

Thanks again.

Peter

HP Recommended

""I did persevere with the latch and, with a bit of force, some leverage and a lot of bad language, I got the access panel off.  ""

a

yes I can see very well

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.