Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
OMEN 880-058
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey,

I'm attempting to connect some type of LED lights to the motherboard similar or the same in this diagram. In the front of the HP OMEN 880's there is only one solid red color so basically I'm wanting to replace those LED's into color changing ones. Which lights should I buy to make them look better?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @cringybottom 

Im not an RGB expert, but I can give you an idea what to look at.

The problem is, HP makes their motherboards to a very tight specification. It only has the connections that the model PC absolutely needs and no other extras.

In order to install RGB, you want to be able to control the colors. In order to do that, the light strips have to be connected to a controller. The controller has to have a Sata power connection from the Power Supply and also plug into a USB 2.0 header on the motherboard. Your motherboard does not have a USB 2 header. It only has one USB_C header for the ports at the front top of the case.

So I am at a loss on what you can use to bypass this problem. I don't know of any controller that would mount on the outside of the case and plug into USB ports and have enough power. Im sorry.

If someone knows of an alternative, hopefully they will chime in.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hello @cringybottom 

Im not an RGB expert, but I can give you an idea what to look at.

The problem is, HP makes their motherboards to a very tight specification. It only has the connections that the model PC absolutely needs and no other extras.

In order to install RGB, you want to be able to control the colors. In order to do that, the light strips have to be connected to a controller. The controller has to have a Sata power connection from the Power Supply and also plug into a USB 2.0 header on the motherboard. Your motherboard does not have a USB 2 header. It only has one USB_C header for the ports at the front top of the case.

So I am at a loss on what you can use to bypass this problem. I don't know of any controller that would mount on the outside of the case and plug into USB ports and have enough power. Im sorry.

If someone knows of an alternative, hopefully they will chime in.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.