Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion TG01-1160xt
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently bought a Pavilion Desktop. It came with a keyboard that defaults to action keys (also know as media keys) instead of the function keys (F1-F12). I never use the media keys and I constantly use the function keys for both work (such as IntelliJ commands) and gaming. I use them so frequently that having to press the fn key to use a function key is like going back to a rotary phone instead of a touch dial. It significantly slows down my work and makes gaming incredibly difficult. I spent about 12 hours trying to figure out how to get the keyboard to default to function keys without having to press the fn key. On the back of the keyboard there are incredibly tiny and faded codes that I believe read "928922-001 BGMCH0B 9HDQ5LE" as the product number and CN. Here is what I found about this keyboard:

1. There is no fn lock on this HP keyboard. I tried about fifteen different combinations that different keyboards use to do an fn lock and none of them worked. After searching online through many forums, it appears that HP decided not to support any kind of fn lock on this keyboard.

2. There is no BIOS or UEFI support that allows the function and action keys to be reversed on this computer. I went very carefully through all the BIOS options and the support is not there on the latest Pavilion. I then plugged the keyboard into my work computer (a Lenovo) which does support a BIOS function and action key reversal. It changed it for the laptop integrated keyboard but not for the HP keyboard. It had no effect at all on the HP keyboard.

3. The scancodes that the keyboard sends to the computer for the media keys are non-standard. I tried to use the Windows registry scancode map to remap the keys. The remapper only supports scancodes ranging from hex 00 to hex FF. It appears that these HP media keys send a scancode outside of this range and cannot be remapped via Windows.

4. Some of the keys can be virtually remapped, but not all of them. Using the AutoHotkey program, which uses a constantly running software to alter keyboard input, I was able to successfully remap some of the keys. However, the "lower brightness" and "raise brightness" keys on F7 and F8 are sending codes that  have no support and cannot be remapped even by the advanced AutoHotkey program. I use F5 through F9 more than anything else.

5. fn causes problems if it is wedged constantly down. In a last desperate attempt, I used a small scrap of paper to permanently hold the fn key down. Then I found the the right shift goes to PAUSE while the fn key is down. So I remapped the PAUSE key to RShift using the AutoHotkey program and was able to resolve that problem. It seemed like I had finally find a workaround, albeit and rather complicated and involved one. However, when running an application that required keyboard commands such as "Ctrl-R", I found that it didn't recognize the command while the fn key was down. Another unacceptable situation.

All attempts failed to turn this into an easy-to-use keyboard, and I am very frustrated and quite disappointed. This is the 2nd time in a row that I have purchased an HP top-of-line desktop computer and been left disappointed by something that meant a lot to me but that HP appears to consider trivial and unimportant. I have always been a big fan of HP and we have purchased many HP computers and accessories over the years and recommended HP to family and friends. I am sorry to say that my opinion of HP, both in quality and support, has greatly lessened. I write this message not in the hopes that I will receive a helpful solution from HP, but in order to inform other users who are experiencing the same frustrations that there is no solution other than trashing the cheap HP keyboard and getting a valid replacement.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@SeaHawk47

Welcome to HP Community

I have gone through your Post and I understand your concerns and frustartion

I will escalate your case to HP's Regional Escalation Team

Please check your private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile.

Next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have this exact same issue! It's infuriating when I am executing code, playing games etc.

I hope HP do something about it because I believe there was a solution to fix it pre-Windows 10.

If you get a solution from HP please share.

HP Recommended

No. HP never responded with a solution. Because of the way the Fn feature was built, it's unlikely a software or configuration solution will ever work. It really does have to be built into the hardware, which it isn't on the cheap HP keyboard. But the $15 Dell keyboard I got on Amazon has been great. I highly recommend it.

Dell Wired Keyboard - Black KB216 (580-ADMT)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.