Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion Desktop 595-p0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Pavilion Desktop 595-p0xxx, 3LA57AA#ABA, running Windows 10 64 bit.

The computer came with a wireless keyboard with multimedia function keys.  Anytime I want to use a normal F1, F2, etc, I have to hit the "Fn" key first.  I want to reverse this, or just disable the multimedia action.

- There is no Fn lock button.

- There is no Lock button on the Esc key

- The only Lock button on the key board does exactly that - it locks the computer and you must enter the PIN again.

- No combination of Alt, Shift, Ctrl, with Fn has helped

- The BIOS boot up solution does not work. There is no longer anything in the BIOS mentioning the Fn or Action keys.

- There is nothing in Windows 10 that seems to control this.

Is there a way for me to do this?  Or, if I but a new keyboard, will it work any differently if it lacks multimedia actions on the Function Keys?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

So I ultimately gave up on the HP provided hardware.  I bought a Microsoft Wireless Desktop 900 (PT3-00001) Keyboard with no secondary listing on the Function Keys.  Now works as intended, but a shame HP's system wasn't able to default to Function Keys without spending money on another keyboard.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@apaul17 Welcome to HP Forums Community!

To enable FN Lock on the All in One Media Keyboard: 

• Press the FN key, and the Caps Lock key at the same time.
  • To disable FN Lock, press the FN key, and the Caps Lock key at the same time again.

If the above doesn't work, ensure you update the BIOS of your device from the HP website: Click here to find and install the same,

Once done, retry the above steps and, also check if the BIOS options to enable/disable Fn or action keys are visible.

I hope that answers your query,  

If it did, simply select "Accept as solution", to help the community grow, 

And if you wish to thank us for our efforts, click on the thumbs up for kudos.

Have a great day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

thank you for the suggestion.  I tried the cap lock, updated the bios, and checked the setting options on boot up again.  But so far nothing has resulted in a solution.  

HP Recommended

@apaul17 If you've completed all the suggestions and yet the issue persists, I suggest you connect an alternate keyboard to your device and check if that works, so we can narrow this down to being an issue with the keyboard or the windows settings, keep us posted.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

So I plugged in a basic, wired keyboard to the USB port.  This keyboard had only regular function keys, with no secondary multimedia use.  It worked as expected, with F1, F2, etc. behaving as one would expect.

So far this appears to be a limitation of the wireless keyboard came came with the Pavilion, and the BIOS that doesn't seem to have a way to change the setting.

HP Recommended

@apaul17 Would you be able to check an alternate wireless keyboard with the same functions as the one with the issues, to check what's wrong? Perhaps, borrow one at the local repair shop to diagnose the issue? or a friend?

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

So I ultimately gave up on the HP provided hardware.  I bought a Microsoft Wireless Desktop 900 (PT3-00001) Keyboard with no secondary listing on the Function Keys.  Now works as intended, but a shame HP's system wasn't able to default to Function Keys without spending money on another keyboard.

HP Recommended

@apaul17 I understand your concern, the fact that the alternate keyboard is working would confirm that the HP keyboard requires a repair/replacement, you could talk to an HP agent and get that sorted, in fact, to help you out I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number.

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact.

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.