cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
SylvainAd
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Looking for z840 motherboard Front LED/Power/Reset connector pinout

HP Recommended
Workstation z840

Hello,

I'm looking into connecting an extra device to power on/off my workstation remotely.

However, the Front LED/Speaker/Power/Reset connector is a single block and I couldn't find any mention of what was the layout for these pins.

Would anybody by chance have the pinout diagram for the connector?

On the motherboard it's listed as #35 Front Power Button/LED/Speaker.

Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2
DGroves
Level 12
5,125 4,398 476 1,088
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

you might receive better/quicker replies if you post workstation related questions in the workstation forum

most of the xw/z series workstations use the same pinouts

Pin 1 = Hard drive clear plastic lens bottom LED  (which shows HD activity)… white wire
Pin 2 = Frosted lens top LED  (solid or blinking green LED)  (one wire of front panel dual-color LED)… red wire
Pin 3 = Hard drive clear plastic lens bottom LED (may be ground end)… green wire
Pin 4 = Frosted lens top LED Red (solid orange color LED)  (other wire of front panel dual-color LED)… black wire
Pin 5 = No wire attached in xw6400.  May be ground.
Pin 6 = Front panel switch for power on/off… thick white wire attached..  May be the positive.
Pin 7 = No wire attached in xw6400
Pin 8 = Front panel switch for power on/off… thick white wire attached.  May be the ground.
Pin 9 = No wire attached in my xw6400.  May be +5V
Pin 10 = Key (no pin on motherboard header; plastic filling the #10 hole in the receptacle)
Pin 11 = No wire attached in xw6400.  Has gray wire of ambient air temperature thermisitor attached in xw6600 cable
Pin 12 = No wire attached in xw6400.  Has brown wire ofambient air temperature thermisitor attached  in xw6600 cable
Pin 13 = Orange wire, but not used in my xw6400.  For hood sensor connector.  May be ground.
Pin 14 = Orange wire, but not used in my xw6400.  For hood sensor connector.
Pin 15 = Key (no pin on the motherboard; plastic filling the #15 hole in the receptacle)
Pin 16 = Blue wire, but not used in my xw6400.  For hood sensor connector.
Pin 17 = Internal speaker +… yellow wire
Pin 18 = Internal speaker - … yellow wire
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
SylvainAd
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you! Appreciate your response.

It was my first post I guess I missed the workstation forum! I will post it there, I didn’t see a way to move the message on mobile phone.

Regarding the pinouts configuration, it looks like the z840 has 26 pins instead of 18. I have come across the diagram for 18 pins but not the larger one.

Thank you for your help!

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation