Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Phoenix 860st Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi!

I own a HP ENVY Phoenix 860st Desktop PC purchased in late 2015. Per the manual it contains the following expansion slots:

• PCI Express x16 (Gen 3.0): 1
  • PCI Express x1 (Gen 2.0): 1
  • M.2 socket 1, key A: 1
  • M.2 socket 3, key M: 1

Two questions:

1) Based on this, I’m assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that the M Key slot on this board support the following drive?

Samsung (MZ-V7S1T0B/AM) 970 EVO Plus SSD 1TB - M.2 NVMe Interface Internal Solid State Drive with V-NAND Technology https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MFZY2F2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_-TF0FbG70BGWT

or alternatively, this one

Crucial P1 1TB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe Internal SSD, up to 2000MB/s - CT1000P1SSD8 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07J2Q4SWZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_UsG0Fb23RP3X5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

2) If I use this M2 slot for my OS drive will it free up my current SATA connection I’m using for another hard drive?  Meaning all 3 of my internal SATA Connections can be used for storage and this M2 the OS?

Thanks so much!!!  Appreciate the help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You got it right this time, @Hahacharade! 😉

HP doesn't give us all of the information that we would like to have on their consumer computers, but I do believe that the Key M should work with the M.2 that you ordered.  Here is a guide that explains the Keys: https://www.atpinc.com/blog/what-is-m.2-M-B-BM-key-socket-3

I would appreciate hearing the outcome when you receive the M.2!  It will help me for future situations.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@Hahacharade , welcome to the forum.

What is the Product Number of the computer? I need this information to review the specifications of it. Please don't furnish the Serial # or other personal information. You can find the Product Number at the bottom of the page when you open HP Support Assistant.  Once I have this information I will help you further.

HP Recommended

Hey I appreciate the reply very much.

UA055A is the product number. After more research I believe it will take those drives but what I cannot figure out for certain is if it will disable any SATA ports doing so, and if it does - which ones. I use 3 HDDs inside now so if I use the m.2 I’m wondering if anything gets disabled. The Motherboard manuals for this model are non existent but it has 5 SATA ports. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @Hahacharade!

Please check the Product Number because it appears to be incorrect.  I have entered it in two different documents with no success.

I believe that you are correct about the drives working, but I will know more when I have the correct Product Number.

HP Recommended

Not sure what number I gave before, lol. Sorry about that.  Probably half asleep. 

Product Number -- N3G98AV

HP ENVY Phoenix Desktop - 860-180st CTO 
Thimphu 2B4B Motherboard 

THANKS AGAIN.  I honestly went ahead and ordered it, now just have the concern if the SATA ports will still work or not. 

HP Recommended

You got it right this time, @Hahacharade! 😉

HP doesn't give us all of the information that we would like to have on their consumer computers, but I do believe that the Key M should work with the M.2 that you ordered.  Here is a guide that explains the Keys: https://www.atpinc.com/blog/what-is-m.2-M-B-BM-key-socket-3

I would appreciate hearing the outcome when you receive the M.2!  It will help me for future situations.

HP Recommended

Thanks again.  Now I just hope my other SATA ports play nice and don't disable on me.  Really wish that was documented somewhere.  We will see!  

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @Hahacharade!

Yes, I know that on my Custom build some of the SATA ports are disabled when a PCIe, NVMe, M.2 is installed.  It will be interesting to see what happens in your situation.

HP Recommended

I recently put an M.2 NVMe in my Desktop (870-129) that uses the same Thimphu Motherboard and have not had SATA issues.

I understand you have 3 other hard drives, and I only have 2 - a SATA SSD hard disk and a SSD traditional 7200RPM hard disk in addition to my CD/DVD - but all my drives are still working fine.

HP Recommended

You’ve given me hope!!! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.