Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
ENVY Phoenix 810-135qe
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB
Device ID 4FF16EE2-891E-46F4-B71D-5F33274E5A6A
Product ID 00326-10000-00000-AA137
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

Good morning.

I have this PC and I would like to know how to make this old PC run faster.

OS (C) got 2.30 TB free of 2.71 TB

Maybe increasing memory RAM would be enough?

I have deleted folders and files through %temp% and prefetch, I have also run a clean disk and defragmentation. 

What else I should do?

Thank you for your help,

Paul Guimaraes

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@PGBoca wrote:

Thank you for your email.

I work with Revit, software from Autodesk. When I open a project, this what I got

PGBoca_0-1641748229496.png

Do you think adding more ram would help or it's a waste of money? And if it is the best option would be upgrade the hard disk to a SSD, correct?

Thanks a lot.

Hello
you have the configurable version

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-envy-phoenix-810-100-desktop-pc-series/5399342/model/6667348...

there is therefore not the exact configuration here
But all that can be missing here, we can see it in your graph, is the HDD, 100% used
So just see for an SSD, to get started
minimum 500gb

Upgrading and Servicing Guide

I don't have the same motherboard but the same type of box

I added a crucial sata mx500 SSD quite easily
The model from wd blue, and a little more efficient otherwise!

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@PGBoca --  Installed RAM 16.0 GB.  I would like to know how to make this old PC run faster. OS (C) got 2.30 TB free of 2.71 TB.  i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz. Maybe increasing memory RAM would be enough?

Before you spend any money, open the Windows "Task Manager", and switch to its "Performance" tab.

See what percentage of your CPU is being used (while running your usual programs).

It is difficult to find any Intel processor faster than 3.4 GB, without spending a LOT of your money.

Plus, any faster replacement will only be 10% to 25% faster -- barely noticeable.

Within Task Manager, see what percentage of your RAM is being used.

If the usage of the RAM is less than 8 GB, then adding more RAM is a waste of your money.

Separately, since you are using only 0.41 Terabytes (2.71 minus 2.30) I can guess that you have a "spinning" disk-drive. Note that a SSD ("solid state device") can be up to 5 times faster.

Are you OK with purchasing a 1 (one) TB SSD, since you're currently using about 40% of 1 (one) TB of disk-space?

HP Recommended

I work with Revit, software from Autodesk. When I open a project, this what I got

Do you think adding more ram would help or it's a waste of money? And if it is the best option would be upgrade the hard disk to a SSD, correct?

Thanks a lot.

HP Recommended

@PGBoca -- I see "9.7 GB" of "cached" memory -- RAM that Windows is not currently using.

So, adding more RAM will not help your computer's performance.

HP Recommended

@PGBoca wrote:

Thanks a lot.

Hello
you have the configurable version

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-envy-phoenix-810-100-desktop-pc-series/5399342/model/6667348...

there is therefore not the exact configuration here
But all that can be missing here, we can see it in your graph, is the HDD, 100% used
So just see for an SSD, to get started
minimum 500gb

Upgrading and Servicing Guide

I don't have the same motherboard but the same type of box

I added a crucial sata mx500 SSD quite easily
The model from wd blue, and a little more efficient otherwise!

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.