Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
s5780t
Linux

Hi there,

I thought I had read some posts in the past about not being able to get a modern GPU for this motherboard because the BIOS doesn't support it, but I'm finding a lot of conflicting information.

I have the s5780t, but I moved it into a CoolerMaster Storm Scout case.

Its specs are:

i7-2600S 3.8GHz x8 CPU (Corsair liquid-cooled)

8GB DDR3 RAM

Cleveland gl8 motherboard

Nvidia gtx680 4GB DDR5 GPU

Corsair 550w PSU

I play games on this device mostly, and its chugging along, but the GPU is obviously elderly, and I've actually had to bake it in the oven twice in the last two years.  It will eventually full-on fail, and I'm exploring my future options.

I like this CPU.

I can upgrade to max of 16GB of RAM.

I'd like to get a used gtx1080 or Titan.

My old employer discarded a used gtx960, and the HP wouldn't boot with it installed.

Different people on different forums say newer Nvidia GPUs should support legacy BIOS, and only AMD intermittently suffers this issue, but then why didn't the gtx960 boot?  I have tested the gtx960 in an even older (2008) Intel machine, and it booted right up, so what gives?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I did not give the link, I forgot because I had found the page
 under windows 7

you only have this one

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-pavilion-slimline-s5700-desktop-pc-ser...

so it is not possible, like I said

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello
you can search the forum, the answer comes up often
With version 7.xx of the bios, you cannot use certain graphics cards ...
At nvidia it would not be after the gtx 6xx model, for amd I don't know exactly
So gtx10xx models will not work ..
We have to find models that can work without the uefi mode, and again we can not guarantee that it will work with a model of motherboard!

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

The S5780t has the Cleveland GL8, I believe.

The page for my PC is here: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-Slimline-s5000-Desktop-PC-series/5035352/model/5060... 

When I choose Windows 8 as the Operating System, the only thing in the list are drivers.  Was there never a BIOS update for this machine?  Is it one of the devices that would be stuck on the 7.xx BIOS?

HP Recommended

I did not give the link, I forgot because I had found the page
 under windows 7

you only have this one

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-pavilion-slimline-s5700-desktop-pc-ser...

so it is not possible, like I said

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

@Prométhée 

Well put to the OP.  The GTX 680 is a early 2012 card, based on Legacy BIOS.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.