Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy 700-074
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an 8GB and a 4GB memory card currently installed. Can I install more than 16GB memory on this system. If I'm limited to 8GB and want to install another 8GB card, which slot does it go into?

Thank you,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@wetash , welcome to the Community.

Here are the Product Specifications for the computer.  If you look at the section titled "Memory/Memory upgrade information" it states that the maximum memory is 32 GB.  Also, here is the memory that is recommended by Crucial Memory.  It states that the maximum is 32 GB.  You should install the memory in matched pairs since the motherboard has Dual channel memory architecture.  This will give you the best system performance increase.

I suggest that you use CPU-Z to find the manufacturer and timings of the current memory.  This information can be found in the section titled "SPD".  Once you have this information, you can contact the Tech Support of the manufacturer that you choose to assure their memory is compatible.

Another upgrade that would boost system performance considerably is a SSD boot drive.  You can look at the SSD's that are recommended for your computer by Crucial in the link that I provided.  Here is a HP Knowledge Base article to explain how to transition from your HDD to a SSD.  You can use the HDD for storage.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@wetash , welcome to the Community.

Here are the Product Specifications for the computer.  If you look at the section titled "Memory/Memory upgrade information" it states that the maximum memory is 32 GB.  Also, here is the memory that is recommended by Crucial Memory.  It states that the maximum is 32 GB.  You should install the memory in matched pairs since the motherboard has Dual channel memory architecture.  This will give you the best system performance increase.

I suggest that you use CPU-Z to find the manufacturer and timings of the current memory.  This information can be found in the section titled "SPD".  Once you have this information, you can contact the Tech Support of the manufacturer that you choose to assure their memory is compatible.

Another upgrade that would boost system performance considerably is a SSD boot drive.  You can look at the SSD's that are recommended for your computer by Crucial in the link that I provided.  Here is a HP Knowledge Base article to explain how to transition from your HDD to a SSD.  You can use the HDD for storage.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

Thank you, this information solved my problem. Another question: the ENVY 700-074 has four memory slots and dual access from the physical examination of the motherboard and from your helpful referral. Do the memory sticks need to be the same size. I'm assuming that the different colored sockets (two blue and two black) are to be used to install like memory sticks in the same color slots to take advantage of the dual channel capability. Please verify this. Next, can I install two different sized memory sticks in the other two other slots and do they need to be the same size and speed spec. I know that the system willl operate at the speed of the lowest speed stick, but does having a lower speed stick cause a problem?

BTW thank you so much for your first post. The Upgrade guide was unclear, but with four ports and the 64 bit Win10 OS, I'm assuming that I could install 4 8GB sticks for 32GB memory. Not sure I need it. I now have 12GB, comprised of one 8GB stick and one 4GB stick. If I installed two 8GB sticks in the blue slots and moved the 4GB stick to one of the black slots, what would happen? It'd be nice because then I could operate with 20GB and LOTS of memory headroom.  Thanks so very much...

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @wetash!

@wetash wrote:

Thank you, this information solved my problem. Another question: the ENVY 700-074 has four memory slots and dual access from the physical examination of the motherboard and from your helpful referral. Do the memory sticks need to be the same size. Yes, for Dual channel memory architecture to work properly the modules have to be matched pairs.  You most likely will have to replace the existing memory.  Memory is actually the least expensive component that you can buy today.  I can remember when I paid $240 for 1 MB of memory and thought it was cheap. 😉

I'm assuming that the different colored sockets (two blue and two black) are to be used to install like memory sticks in the same color slots to take advantage of the dual channel capability. Please verify this.  This is correct!  However, as I said, you should install the modules in matched pairs.

Next, can I install two different sized memory sticks in the other two other slots and do they need to be the same size and speed spec. I know that the system willl operate at the speed of the lowest speed stick, but does having a lower speed stick cause a problem?  Read my previous replies.

BTW thank you so much for your first post. The Upgrade guide was unclear, but with four ports and the 64 bit Win10 OS, I'm assuming that I could install 4 8GB sticks for 32GB memory. Not sure I need it. I now have 12GB, comprised of one 8GB stick and one 4GB stick. If I installed two 8GB sticks in the blue slots and moved the 4GB stick to one of the black slots, what would happen? It'd be nice because then I could operate with 20GB and LOTS of memory headroom.  Thanks so very much... You are very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.