Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Just ordered one. will let you know. thanks

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Hopefully, that will fix the problem.

HP Recommended

Paul

I am hoping to prevail upon you once again for two related questions.

I have been searching and found a site that says my 8200 SFF can use 4 each 8GB Ram Chips.

This per the command   [wmic memphysical get MaxCapacity, MemoryDevices}

Does this mean that I can substitute the 4ach 4GB chips for 4 each 8 GB chips? 

Also, can I substitute the existing I5 processor for a new I7 processor?

If this is an unwarranted intrusion, I apologize.  Are you associated with HP or can I contact you directly.

Many thanks for your previous and, hopefully, future help.

HP Recommended

Hi:

Can you please confirm that you want to know about a different model PC...the 8200 Elite SFF?

If that is correct, you can install 4 x 8 GB of DDR3-1333 or 1600 memory in it (the 1600 MHz memory will bridge to 1333 MHz.

You can upgrade to the processor to an i7-2600.  That is the only supported i7 processor for the 8200 Elite SFF.

Memory RAM & SSD Upgrades | hp - compaq | elite 8200 series | HP Compaq 8200 Elite Small Form Factor...

You can try the 8 GB memory you bought for your 8300 Elite in the 8200 Elite, and see if it works.

HP Recommended

As usual your assistance has been invaluable. Many thanks

I will sincerely try to not bother you again.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Please do not feel like you are a bother.

I enjoy helping folks with their PC questions where I can.

HP Recommended

Greetings Paul,

My new motherboard should arrive tomorrow and I think that is under control. I do have an issue with my 8200. however. For some reason I cannot access the EFI settings with the escape key as I have done previously. I am not sure what I have done but the bottom line is that I cannot get to the settings menu. I have checked several (more than a dozen, actually) websites for ways to correct this and nothing seems to work. Unless you have a better idea, I am reduced to reinstalling the Windows 10 OS. The question I have is, Will this solve my access problem?  Reinstalling the OS requires a lot of work setting everything up again. I do wish I knew what I did to cause this. as usual, thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

Hi:

I just fired up my 8200 Elite CMT and I can't access the EFI boot options when I am in the F9 boot options menu.

I can only access the legacy boot options.

In F10, I see the EFI boot options...DVD, USB...

The only suggestion I can offer, would be to see if going into the BIOS and setting it to its defaults, save the settings and exit, resolves the problem.

I also have a HP 6200 Pro which is basically the same model as the 8200 Elite, except it has the Intel Q65 chipset and no RAID storage controller setting.  It uses the exact same BIOS and with that PC, I was able to select the EFI DVD and install W10 in EFI mode.

So whatever the issue is, we have the same problem.  I cannot boot a device in EFI mode.

My W10 is installed in legacy mode in my 8200 Elite.

HP Recommended

HI Paul.

I am not sure if I understood your comment.

I cannot access my BIOS with ESC, F9 or F10.  So it seems That reinstalling W10 is my only option.

Should I use the original CD sent with the 8200 or can I use the Media Creation Tool link.

I was trying to install my Ubuntu 20.04 that was on my old dc5800 which is what started this issue.  Are you saying that 

that I have to install W10 in Legacy Bios mode in order to install Ubuntu ? I had W10 and Ubuntu dual booting  on the dc5800.

If I use the Media Creation Tool link, I assume that will install the Legacy Bios. Correct? Please let me know

You know, I bet that 25 years ago, when I was 50, I would not have had so much trouble figuring this out.

Thanks for your help.

Mike

HP Recommended

Hi, Mike:

So when you turn on the PC and immediately start pressing the ESC key nothing happens.  It just boots into Windows?

I don't have that problem.  I turn on the PC, immediately press/tap the ESC key to get the menu of options.

As I posted earlier this morning, I could not select an EFI device to boot from.  I could only boot from Legacy boot sources.

So, I followed my own advice.  I set the BIOS to its defaults and then went back in to the F10 setup option and I like to install Windows from a DVD, so what I did was go into the Boot options menu, and selected the DVD as the EFI boot device, and  saved the changes.

I had a W10 installation disk in the DVD drive, restarted the PC, tapped the ESC key to get the menu of options, selected the F9 boot options menu, and lo and behold, the EFI DVD showed up and if I wanted to install W10 in EFI mode, it would have worked.

So, I fixed the problem with my PC.

There is one thing you can try if tapping the ESC key does nothing for you...Reset the CMOS.

Shut down and unplug the PC, disconnect everything connected to it...monitor, KB, Mouse, any USB devices -- everything.

Then read the instructions in the service manual, appendix E, pages 304 & 305 for how to reset the CMOS.

c04224518.pdf (hp.com)

Hopefully, after you do that, you will be able to use the ESC key to get into the BIOS and boot options menus.

You can use the Media creation tool to install W10 in EFI as long as you can select an EFI boot device such as the DVD or USB flash drive with W10 on it to boot from.

I think the new versions of W10 require a dual layer DVD in order to burn the ISO file to a DVD, so if resetting the CMOS works for you, go into F10 and in the boot options menu, select the EFI USB flash drive as the boot device, save the setting there and again when you exit the BIOS.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.