Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Desktop - M01-F0016
Microsoft Windows 11

I am attempting to upgrade the RAM in an M01-F0016.

As per the product page I bought 32 GB of RAM (16x2 PC-25600).

After installing both RAM 16GB sticks the computer just shows a blank screen and there are no beeps.

If I install either stick with the original 8GB  RAM stick the computer boots properly and shows as having 24GB of RAM. All diagnostics that I have run show the memory to be working properly. This shows me that both of the new RAM sticks are working properly.

Why will the computer not boot properly when installing both of the 16GB RAM sticks?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Joe

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@jhauser42,

Welcome to our HP User Forum!

You bought 2 x 16GB of DDR4 PC4-25600, 3200 MHz, NON-ECC, Unbuffered UDIMM, 288-pin RAM?

Same brand/model?

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

The specific memory I purchased is OLOy OWL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model ND4U1632161DJ0DA.

It was purchased from newegg and the link is: https://www.newegg.com/oloy-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820821287?Item=N82E16820821287

As I said in the original post each of the memory sticks will work, but only if the original 8GB stick is installed. A single 16GB stick of the new memory or both of them installed together do not seem to work. Per the spec sheet for this motherboard this memory should work (and does if a single stick is installed with the original stick).

When I attempt to boot the computer both fans spin properly, but I only get a blank screen. If it is booting at all I have no way to know as there is no output to the monitor. There are also no beeps coming from the machine to indicate an error.

HP Recommended

@jhauser42,

All right, let me take a closer look at this memory.

In the meanwhile, as Stephen Colbert perhaps would say, please do/check out the following:

1.) Type: MSCONFIG in your Windows search bar.
2.) Left-click on the System Configuration App.
3.) That will bring up a new window. Click on the Boot tab make sure you have the DEFAULT OS highlighted.
4.) Click on: Advanced Options...
5.) If the boxes named Number of processors: and/or Maximum memory: have check marks UNCHECK THEM then hit OK.
6.) If you had to uncheck any box(es), this will take you back, then click: Apply and then: OK and restart your PC.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

@jhauser42,

Looked at your HP Erica motherboard (SSID: 8643, please confirm) and the OLOy RAM.

Keeping this as brief as possible, my suggestion to you is this: return the OLOy RAM for a refund and replace with Crucial 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model (p/n:) CT2K16G4DFRA32A.

You can get this 2 x 16GB RAM from Newegg for the amazing low pricing of $69.42 -compared with the $112 Crucial would charge / $109 via Amazon for the same RAM -but I digress: https://www.newegg.com/crucial-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820156269?Description=Crucial%202%20x....

The reasons why I would suggest this is based on my own experience how finnicky HP computers deal with RAM and achievable RAM speeds.  Gaming RAM depends on you being able to access XMP, and I'm not sure you can do that with your M01-F0016.  Secondly, I don't like the 1.35 volts the OLOy RAM runs at. From what I gather online, you'd be better off with 1.2V RAM, and CAS/Extended timings of 22-22-22-22.

Thirdly, I can actually show-and-tell you that this Crucial RAM runs smoking hot (102% of baseline!) -please take a look at this Erica motherboard-based rig's RAM: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/50742191.

Hope this was helpful.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

@jhauser42,

You see, one of the issues I ran into with RAM similar to OLOy RAM, was trying to deal with its SPD ("Serial Presence Detect") or default/preset RAM speed, which is the speed that the RAM does work with when it's spick-and-span right out of the box.  Being the skeptic -some say the cynic I am, I doubt this RAM will run at 3200 MHz 'right out of the box' -if it will run at all, as you experienced.  If you're lucky, maybe it will run at 2933 MHz. On a bad day, again, if it runs at all, perhaps 2400 MHz is all you're gonna get.

As you may have guessed, I looked in vain to locate OLOy's specs on its SPD.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.