Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Desktop 110-406
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have upgraded memory by adding a 4GB module to the original 4GB. I followed the procedure from the website exactly. However, the PC will not boot after upgrade. I removed the new memory module and restored operation. I also installed the new module in the original slot and it also operates properly. Either the old module or new module  works in the original slot but neither works in the second slot. The specifications state the maximum supported memory is 8GB. What am I doing wrong? Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

It sounds like you have a hardware problem when using the second memory slot if neither the factory DIMM nor the new DIMM works in the second memory slot. Memory modules should be used in matching pairs or matching memory kits to ensure compatibility.

All memory timings and speeds should be the identical.

Regards

HP Recommended

If the problem is the second slot could I expand the memory by replacing the 4GB RAM in the first slot with one of 8GB and leaving the second slot empty?

HP Recommended

Any advice on whether I should try upgrading memory with a 8GB memory?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.