Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Desktop - M01-F1014na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi. I bought a HP Desktop - M01-F1014na last week. Before buying this PC I looked at the Documentation for it on the HP Website. The BakerMs Motherboard Specifications says it supports 2x16gb of Ram. I have just spoken to an agent on WhatsApp who says it only supports 1x8gb of Ram. If it is possible to upgrade Memory which Memory do I buy?

The Screenshot from my PC says I have 2 Slots.

Memory.jpg
Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

The motherboard specs indeed indicate that up to 2 x 16 GB of DDR4-2666 MHz memory is supported in PC's with the i3 processor.

HP Desktop PCs - Motherboard Specifications, BakerMS | HP® Customer Support

The crucial memory report indicates the max memory is 2 x 32 GB.

Memory RAM & SSD Upgrades | hp - compaq | hp m01 series | HP M01-F1014 | Crucial.com

Since Crucial sells compatible memory for your PC, I recommend that you go with them.

You can buy Crucial memory in the UK.

This is the compatible 8 GB memory chip from the above report.

Crucial 8GB DDR4-2666 UDIMM | CT8G4DFRA266 | Crucial UK

This is the compatible 16 GB memory chip from the above report.

Crucial 16GB DDR4-2666 UDIMM | CT16G4DFD8266 | Crucial UK

If you want to install 64 GB of memory...before attempting to install 2 x 32 GB of memory in your PC, I advise you to check to make sure that is possible.

Windows users can determine the maximum RAM capacity in the Command prompt with the command below.

It gives the final value in kilobytes which can be converted to gigabytes (divide the value by 1048576 to convert KB to GB).

Run the Command prompt app as administrator. 

Then run the following command.  You can copy and paste the line from here.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Hi:

The motherboard specs indeed indicate that up to 2 x 16 GB of DDR4-2666 MHz memory is supported in PC's with the i3 processor.

HP Desktop PCs - Motherboard Specifications, BakerMS | HP® Customer Support

The crucial memory report indicates the max memory is 2 x 32 GB.

Memory RAM & SSD Upgrades | hp - compaq | hp m01 series | HP M01-F1014 | Crucial.com

Since Crucial sells compatible memory for your PC, I recommend that you go with them.

You can buy Crucial memory in the UK.

This is the compatible 8 GB memory chip from the above report.

Crucial 8GB DDR4-2666 UDIMM | CT8G4DFRA266 | Crucial UK

This is the compatible 16 GB memory chip from the above report.

Crucial 16GB DDR4-2666 UDIMM | CT16G4DFD8266 | Crucial UK

If you want to install 64 GB of memory...before attempting to install 2 x 32 GB of memory in your PC, I advise you to check to make sure that is possible.

Windows users can determine the maximum RAM capacity in the Command prompt with the command below.

It gives the final value in kilobytes which can be converted to gigabytes (divide the value by 1048576 to convert KB to GB).

Run the Command prompt app as administrator. 

Then run the following command.  You can copy and paste the line from here.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. The command prompt reply was 

MaxCapacity Memory Devices
67108864     4. 

What does this mean?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

For some reason Windows thinks the motherboard has 4 memory slots.

Yes, if your PC had 4 memory slots, you would have been able to install 4 x 16 GB of memory.

So what we have discovered from the report you ran, is the Crucial memory report may be incorrect.

Since your PC only has two memory slots, you would be limited to 2 x 16 GB of memory.

HP Recommended

I think you're right. Thanks again. I will buy 2X16GB.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

HP Recommended

Thank You. I've been trying to find out this from various agents from HP for the last 3 or 4 days. They think my PC has only 1 Ram Slot & is limited to 8GB. I found out more from you in 10 mins than them in 4 days. Now I know which type of Memory to buy I will open my PC & confirm the No of Ram Slots so I know how much Ram to buy.

Thanks again. Bye.

HP Recommended

I can't find a service manual for your PC's model series.

I did find one from the older HP Desktop PC M01-F0xxx model series.

Perhaps it will be of help to you with opening up the PC, if this model series uses the same case.

Upgrading and Servicing Guide (EMEA with shipping label) (hp.com)

HP Recommended

Hello
can i give you a tip or two
wanting to add memory is good, it still has to be necessary ..
You just bought the computer, so it's probably in its factory settings !?
Advising you to buy 32gb of ram would be useful under certain conditions, apart from that could make you spend money for very little.
the capture you show to begin with shows only 50% memory usage, we don't know exactly when, but 16gb may be enough

according to the configuration of the computer
https://support.hp.com/ie-en/document/c06705943

no graphics card
Intel® UHD Graphics 630
a simple mechanical hdd
1 TB 7200 rpm SATA HDD

32gb of ram with this, it's practically useless

your motherboard would allow the use of an m2 SSD
One M.2 socket 3, Key M, (2280/2242)
it might be more efficient to have 16gb of memory with a faster ssd than the HDD
Up to you

• Dual channel memory architecture (One DIMM per channel)
  • Two DDR4 SODIMM (288-pin) sockets
  • Supports PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) and up to PC4-23400 (DDR4-2933) for Core i7-10700 and i7-10700F
  • Supports 4 GB and 8 GB DDR4 SODIMMs
  • Supports up to 4 GB on 32-bit systems
    note:
    32-bit systems cannot address a full 4.0 GB of memory.
  • Supports up to 32 GB (unbuffered) with two 16 GB DIMMs on 64-bit systems

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. The Specs state that is is SODimm. Another replay was a link for Crucial 8GB DDR4-2666 UDIMM | CT8G4DFRA266 | Crucial UK, which is UDIMM. Does it matter If I buy SODIMM or UDIMM?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.