Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Touchsmart 520
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

HP TOUCHSMART 520 PC

(an all-in-one pc)

Current RAM is 4GB

I want to upgrade to 8 GB and need to know what to buy and how to buy from either HP or Tiger Direct. I need the specs and item (product number)

Model is 520-1020

64-bit operating system Windows 7

THANK YOU!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank you, thank you!

Ok, I'm ordering 2 of the following.  I don't see anywhere a reference to the 200 pins you mentioned...., but maybe that's a given.

Crucial 4GB DDR3L-1600 SODIMM

• CT51264BF160B
  • Configuration ID: CT2655918

DDR3 PC3-12800 • CL=11 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1600 • 1.35V •

Hoping for the best.  Couldn't have gotten this far without your kind and exemplary assistance!

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the Crucial memory report for your model PC.

I recommend you buy from Crucial since they guarantee compatibility.

Memory RAM & SSD Upgrades | hp - compaq | touchsmart 500 series | TouchSmart 520-1020 | Crucial.com

Below is the service guide where you can find the memory removal and replacement procedure...

Upgrading and Servicing Guide (EMEA with shipping label) (hp.com)

HP Recommended

Dear @Ontrack123 

The PC supports 8 Gb of the DDR3 type indicated below.

• Dual channel memory architecture
  • Two DDR3 SO-DIMMs (200-pin) sockets
    • PC3-8500 (DDR3-1066)
    • PC3-10600 (DDR3-1333)
  • Non-ECC memory only, unbuffered
  • Supports 1GB, 2GB, and 4GB DDR3 SO-DIMMs
  • Supports up to 8 GB on 64-bit PCs
  • Supports up to 4 GB on 32-bit PCs
    *32-bit PCs cannot address a full 4.0 GB of memory.

Now you can buy DDR3L-1600 as above but you should not mix it with the memory you already have installed because it may cause Blue Screen problems. So if you are going to put DDR3L-1600 that they are both of that type.

HP Recommended

Thank you! Does it currently now have two memory slots; each with a 2Gb memory card for a total if 4Gb RAM, ?If so, then I will be replacing each 2gb card with a 4gb card fOR  a total of 8Gb of RAM? 
This is my first time doing anything like this so apologies for these very elementary questions. 
This is the video I located on the installation:

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The product specs do not indicate if there is one 4 GB or two 2 GB memory chips, so run the free utility that I zipped up and attached below, and it will tell you how many memory chips are installed.

Depending on how difficult it is to open up the PC...if it has one 4 GB memory chip, the advice offered above is generally the accepted way of replacing memory.

But in my personal experience, I have never had a problem mixing a Crucial memory chip with one from a different manufacturer.

I have done it on many different desktops and notebooks.

The only time I have ever replaced both memory chips is when, for example, I wanted to replace a 4 GB memory chip with two 8 GB memory chips.

If your PC has a single 4 GB memory chip, I would take a chance on just buying a 4 GB Crucial chip, and if it works fine, then you are done.

Otherwise, you are just wasting $28 bucks on a chip you didn't need.

If for some reason the PC doesn't work right with the mixed brands, then buy the second one, so that they are both the same.

Again...I only recommend doing that if taking the PC apart is not too difficult.

If it is, then buy two new Crucial chips.

HP Recommended

Hi

I am not referring to different brands but to memory types, it is not convenient to mix DDR3 with DDR3L.

In my case I have had some problems with HP DV7, when I have mixed the DDR3 memories after a short time they have burned.

HP Recommended

Hi:

I am surprised that happened to you, because in order to meet the DDR3 memory standard, DDR3L memory has to also run at 1.5V.

DDR3 memory does not run at 1.35V.

What is DDR3L Memory | Dell US

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

(Taking the system apart is easy , but I am such a procrastinator that it’s better to do all at once rather than a “wait and see” approach to just replacing one of the cards. )

My system has 2 slots; each currently with 2gb for 4 Gb total. The max RAM capacity on this pc us 8 GB so thats why I will replace with 2 CARDS OF 4 GB each. Sound ok? 
I guess I can’t send you a screen shot of the system summary…but here is the RAM info just in case I missed something …

MEMORY MODULES

#0 [Bank0/DIMM1]:Elpida EBJ21UE8BFU0-DJ-F

#1 [BANK1DIMM2]:Elpida EBJ21UE8BFU0-DJ-F

HP Recommended

Hi:

Sounds like you have no option but to buy 2 x 4 GB of memory in order to upgrade to 8 GB, so memory compatibility issues should not be a problem, since they will be matching DDR3L 1.35V memory chips.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.