Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Compaq 8000 Elite SFF PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and signed up for Insider Preview Program and I noticed that Dvice Manager is showing that there are no drivers installed for PCI Serial Port. I searched for drivers using the properties driver update and it finishes with "Windows was unable to install the driver."  I tried the Troubleshooter and it applied the fix and needed to restart but when boots I still have no driver installed. Is there anyone out there that can point me in the right direction? You have no idea how frustrated I am at this point. Please help!  :indifferent: :HalfEyes:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Are you installing a clean Windows 10 on a blank disk or upgrading a working Windows 7?  Sounds like there was not a working OS already in place or you did the install instead of the upgrade.

Look in Device manager and give the hardware ID for the missing devices.

However, Look at this thread, it should solve the problem.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/PCI-Serial-Port-Driver-Windows-...

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Are you installing a clean Windows 10 on a blank disk or upgrading a working Windows 7?  Sounds like there was not a working OS already in place or you did the install instead of the upgrade.

Look in Device manager and give the hardware ID for the missing devices.

However, Look at this thread, it should solve the problem.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/PCI-Serial-Port-Driver-Windows-...

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

i'm willing to bet the serial port driver is the "SOL" driver for the Intel AMT remote access feature

yep, i was right this system supports "AMT" but only up to win 7 and possibly 8

Intel AMT LMS_SOL for AMT 5.xx is the serial/program package you would install under win 7 and this package is not compatable under win 10

home users do not require this feature and it's a known security risk and should be disabled

enter the bios, and somewhere you should see a "AMT" listing that is enabled, disable it (do not attempt to enter the AMT)

if you try entering the amt, you must then set a password, this password can not be reset/cleared like the motherboard CMOS can so make sure to write it down and place it somewhere insode the PC so it will not be lost

HP Recommended

Ok. Now things are starting to make sense. I am well aware of the fact that Win 10 Home edition comes a little lean on the features list so this I can accept and start gettin to bed at a decent hour again. Thank you so much for your time.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.