Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Touchsmart 520-1038
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello.  I have a 2012 HP TouchSmart 520-1038.  This a.m. started the computer, could hear the hard drive working but the screen remained completely dark.  Tapping the mouse did not get the screen to light up.  Yesterday, computer worked alright,  installed Malwarebytes software update, and restarted computer - the screen worked fine.  My question:  Does a screen just die suddenly or does it fade over time?  Might it be fixable? Or, is it time for a new desktop PC?  Hate to see it go because it was a big screen that made my look like a photo genius.  Thanks for any guidance.  Trish in Iowa 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.  Disconnecting all of the attached devices solved the problem.  What I didn't realize was that my PC had downloaded and installed a new version of Microsoft Edge, so that could have been the source.  However, it was disconnecting the power cord and reattaching it that did the trick.  Thank for the advice.  It is experienced volunteers like you that make life so much easier for the rest of us. Take care.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi Trish,

Try the hard reset mentioned here in Step 1 , this link is for Windows 8, I think you had Windows 7 on yours but the hard reset and a couple other steps will still work.

In my experience it's usually the power button and a puter hibernation issue, or sometimes the power brick on the power cord has caused this as well, but try those steps first and let us know how it goes. 

*Just a community member, not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.  Disconnecting all of the attached devices solved the problem.  What I didn't realize was that my PC had downloaded and installed a new version of Microsoft Edge, so that could have been the source.  However, it was disconnecting the power cord and reattaching it that did the trick.  Thank for the advice.  It is experienced volunteers like you that make life so much easier for the rest of us. Take care.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.