Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy Phoenix 860-014
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I know this is a a long shot but I'm hoping someone can help. I have the HP Envy Phoenix PC (860-014) . My system wouldn't start so I paid someone to look at it. They said the MB was dead. The MB is:

• HP/Compaq name: Thimphu
  • SSID: 2B4B

My problem is that I am having a hard time finding the same board that is located here in the US and not ridiculously priced. The HP web site doesn't seem to carry them anymore.

I have looked but most of these MB's are located in China, Hong Kong and other far off places. I'm not sure I trust parts from Ebay either. Obviously I'd prefer a brand new MB but used might be ok if its not from someplace where there is a language barrier.

Also, I would consider an alternative MB if it would accommodate the hardware I have installed.

I have upgraded this PC, so I have a few parts that don't show up on the HP support page for this PC.

I added some memory, a sata SSD and also an EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 KO Ultra GPU.  The GPU takes up a lot of space. Anyway, help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reading this post.

Del.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@delcarto62 , welcome to the forum.

What did the Tech at the shop tell you was wrong with the board?  It is rare that a motherboard would fail. Normally, it would mean that the capacitors were bad.  Did you check them to see if they are swollen?

Here is a link to your motherboard on Amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/HP-Thimphu-Intel-Motherboard-799926-001/dp/B01MR0VIY8

It may be priced a bit high, but replacing the motherboard with an alternative runs its risks.  You certainly can't replace your system for that price.

Here is a HP Knowledge Base article that will explain some of the obstacles of replacing your motherboard with an alternative using a HP case:  https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Knowledge-Base/Moving-HP-Motherboard-to-a-new-gaming-case/ta-p/...

I know that it is discussing moving your motherboard to a new case, but it would have the same obstacles.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@delcarto62 , welcome to the forum.

What did the Tech at the shop tell you was wrong with the board?  It is rare that a motherboard would fail. Normally, it would mean that the capacitors were bad.  Did you check them to see if they are swollen?

Here is a link to your motherboard on Amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/HP-Thimphu-Intel-Motherboard-799926-001/dp/B01MR0VIY8

It may be priced a bit high, but replacing the motherboard with an alternative runs its risks.  You certainly can't replace your system for that price.

Here is a HP Knowledge Base article that will explain some of the obstacles of replacing your motherboard with an alternative using a HP case:  https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Knowledge-Base/Moving-HP-Motherboard-to-a-new-gaming-case/ta-p/...

I know that it is discussing moving your motherboard to a new case, but it would have the same obstacles.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

Hi Old_geekster. Thanks for replying. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and buy the one on Amazon. I thought it was priced high myself but I don't see much of a choice. Right now my PC is a giant doorstop.

The tech who worked on it said that he was amazed it ever worked at all. I guess the MB CPU pins were bent to the point that some were touching each other. He said they had no way to fix it. If he tried to straighten them they would likely break off. Sounded kind of odd to me but what do I know? It was having some weird problems but it always started up. 

Either way, I need a new one and that link you provided is as good a price as I've seen

Thank you. I'll consider this solved.

Enjoy your summer and stay well,

Del.

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @delcarto62!  Stay well and safe.

If the pins were bent, the Tech is correct that they most likely can't be straightened.  It has been done, but not often.

Good luck!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.