Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming 790-0109
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The wireless keyboard on my HP 790-0109 Desktop has the multimedia keys on by default. I use function keys more often for my work. It is annoying to use Fn key combinations each time I need to use Function key. I have tried all solutions available on HP Forums and elsewhere but none helps. The BIOS setup does not even have the alter the HotKey function.
How difficult could this be for HP Technical people if they really tried to help because I know there are hundreds of frustrated users like me who still haven't found any solution. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank you and it confirms what I was fearing! I have tried AutoHotKey but unfortunately all the codes I found does not cover the F7/F8 keys which I use frequently with AutoCAD. To add insult to injury, the MM (Action) keys which goes with F7/F8 are used for controlling screen brightness. When I press them (without pressing Fn key) a control pops up on screen but increasing or decreasing that control does not have any effect on screen brightness! I will try SharpKeys to see if that will work.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello
After going through many topics, looking in the different solutions, there would only be two possible options
The simplest first, find another keyboard!
The second, but I do not remember having a feedback, so I can not certify that it works would be to use a software to reconfigure the keys!

exemple SharpKeys

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/map-any-key-to-any-key-on-windows-xp-vista/

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Thank you and it confirms what I was fearing! I have tried AutoHotKey but unfortunately all the codes I found does not cover the F7/F8 keys which I use frequently with AutoCAD. To add insult to injury, the MM (Action) keys which goes with F7/F8 are used for controlling screen brightness. When I press them (without pressing Fn key) a control pops up on screen but increasing or decreasing that control does not have any effect on screen brightness! I will try SharpKeys to see if that will work.

HP Recommended

Desktop is HP Pavilion Gaming 790-0109. Keyboard is Pavilion Wireless 800.

HP Recommended

Sorry but I answered the question, give me back the model of the pc is useless
There are no other solutions to my knowledge, and if it does not work with software, as indicated by many users it would be necessary to use a keyboard without the Fn keys

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.