Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming - TG01-0023w
Microsoft Windows 11

To be honest, when it comes to things like this, virtual agent and store are useless and they send you to "generic" areas.

What i need to know is what power supplies, inside and out, of HP will work for a 550 to 600 watt upgrade? I've been told how "upgradeable" this PC is and now i'm putting it to the test with a new video card and needing a better power supply to support it. I'm not new to computers, not by a 35 year shot, but i just don't know the exact words to use to find what i need with this situation. If you go to Google, you get a bunch of useless sales that give absolutely NO information on "if" this power supply will work exactly in my PC and i heard it's more of a "proprietary" situation.

Help. Anyone?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Then the only "real" solution is to sell the HP and get another machine with more expandability. To be honest, the power supply costs 1/3 of the PC i could buy that is already expanded (with an I7 processor) and has a 500w power supply on eBay. The seller has a great reputation so i'm probably going to end up with a decent machine.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

@Kilroy-5150 , welcome to the Community.

The motherboard in your computer is HP proprietary. It has a 4-pin power connector instead of a standard 24-pin ATX power connector. You will have to buy any PSU upgrade from HP.  The largest wattage PSU that HP sells is 500W (L05757-800).  It is available on HP PartSurfer.   Here is a Chart that will show you where I got this information.  Your exact model is not listed, but all of the Erica motherboards have the same connectors.

Please click the "Yes" button if my reply was helpful and "Accept as Solution" if your problem is Solved!!

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Hello I was actually look to upgrade mine as well it has the 400w psu with 1650 super and I wanted to upgrade the PSU and graphics card as well.

Did you find any solution or ones that work? I did see on eBay people selling 24 pin to 6 pin adapter but not 24 pin to 4 pin for our mother board. But then I dunno if a standard PSU would even fit.w I was actually look to upgrade mine as well it has the 400w psu with 1650 super and I wanted to upgrade the PSU and graphics card as well

HP Recommended

Yes and no. Yes, there is a power supply but the price is way too high, almost enough to buy an older computer. I started going "around" some of the problem. I went and bought a powered USB hub to handle all my USB devices so the strain wouldn't be on the computer it's self, this allieviated a lot of my problems since i have a 1650 Super myself i know your issue. 

Yes, there is a 500w upgrade (someone around here should know the model #) but i gave up on it the moment i saw the price, it's just way too much to pay for something like a power supply. I don't mind upgrades, but when PSs hit $100+ i start looking for other options and the USB hub provided a lot of "wiggle" room.

Now, yeah, if you're looking for that massive video card upgrade, you've probably got no choice but to get the HP upgrade. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO_JK7Jrmk0&t=9s

This guy does an ultimate upgrade video and i think he's got the model number of the power supply. From what i've seen/been told the TG01 series is pretty universal (no matter what model you have) about the power supplies and general upgrades with very little exceptions.

We do some thing Crazy! We get a RTX 3070 to Work in a TG01-0040 HP SFF. We also test the 500 Watt PSU from HP! We show you how to do the upgrade, Install the drivers. Then we do a before and after Bench Mark to show the Difference From a RX5500 To the RTX 3070. We Go over different FPS'S you ...
HP Recommended

Thank you for the info and video.

HP Recommended

https://www.sparepartworld.com/laptop-spare-parts/internal-power-supplies/internal-power-supplies-l0... Very unfortunate that they use 4pin 90's motherboard tech to lock you out of plug and play simplicity but hey, this is the time of gimic sales and profit musts. There is the best you can get in the link above.

HP Recommended

But is there no other alternative? I mean, it's uber expensive for just a 500w power supply.

HP Recommended

Unfortunately the proprietary lockdown is real. Only Hps power supply will work. I'd suggest getting a tower supply and motherboard and using what you can from this system. Even the ram restrictions on the erica motherboard are not good.

HP Recommended

Then the only "real" solution is to sell the HP and get another machine with more expandability. To be honest, the power supply costs 1/3 of the PC i could buy that is already expanded (with an I7 processor) and has a 500w power supply on eBay. The seller has a great reputation so i'm probably going to end up with a decent machine.

HP Recommended

The issue with all major prebuilts is the unknowns. This pc is a great prebuilt for the price but limited on upgrades though it advertises upgradeable.  No xmp ram ability. Proprietary lock on power supply.  Buying a good motherboard that accepts your cpu along with case and power supply is the way to go. Move ram ssd and gpu to it and you have a sweet pc with ability to upgrade for years.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.