Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion a6120
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 is too slow.  

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@bertram02,

I would not recommend any upgrades because:

1) The Original OS was Vista.

2) It is a 12 year old machine.

3) Could not locate any recommended CPU chip for that motherboard.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Ratz!  Was hoping to be able to amp up the speed.  Oh well, it was a giveaway computer left at our local post office, so I shouldn't complain.  I enjoy tinkering with the old machines.  However, I was told the same thing about an old Dell slimline desktop...I was able to find a CPU that worked and it's now cruising at 2.93 MHz.

HP Recommended

According to internet sources, there are a number of CPU's that would be supported by the Asus P5LP-LE (Leonite2) motherboard.  I wonder why HP doesn't have a list to provide their customers.  Also, in my attempts to upgrade this PC, HP Support will not provide an update to the bios.  My PC has the 5.20 version and I am sure there are several more versions newer than that.  I am upgrading this computer, as I have done with a few others, to donate it to a local group that can't afford to buy new ones.  HP's suggestion that I just buy a new computer doesn't sit well with me.  What I am looking for is old technology that could and should be recycled rather than junking a perfectly good PC.  Is HP going to step up?

HP Recommended

BTW, even though this PC originally came with Vista, somebody installed Windows 10 on it last April.  Since I cannot find out who left it up for grabs, I do not know how that came about and what other operating systems might have been installed before that..  I have no product code for that last install; it was not registered.

HP Recommended

After some time spent on tech sites, youtube videos and forums, I have two issues to resolve.  First of all, I found out that my Pavilion a6120n will support the Intel Core Duo E6700 2.66 GHz CPU.  Is that the best I can do or are there faster ones compatible with my Asus P5LP-LE Leonite2 motherboard?  You'd think that somebody in the HP world would have a list of compatible CPU's.  No help from HP support on this.  Also, I have a download of the 5.23 bios version, which I believe was the last version offered for my desktop.  Somebody please correct me if I am wrong about that.  I tried to upgrade and got a message saying that my system did not meet the requirements for the 5.23 version.  Does that mean that I have to upgrade from my 5.20 to 5.21 and then up the ladder?  Somebody complicated matters by installing Windows 10 last April before giving the computer away.  Would that be a reason I can't upgrade the bios?  Help!

HP Recommended

the answer is simple. (kinda) here is the list. (and no, there are no makers of oem PC that try every CPU possible on one model mobo. sorry for sure 12 years ago to 2020.  not going to happen and is only in somefolks dreams.

now the reasons, and facts.

• the Chip set on this PC must support what you generation CPU you want, (pure hard , no slack, logic)
  • The CPU must not overload the MoBo, VRM power regulators, some mobo limit at 65watts and 95watt or others.
  • The CPU must be supported in your BIOS, and no OEM upgrades BIOS just for you 12years later, ok.
  • The mobo must have the bandwidth needed to support any CPU used,  many DON'T. (lay out rules on mobo and more)
  • There is more but mostly relates to #1 above.

2007 PC, with older chips.

so what is your chipset. well that is in the spec,. I will read that to you now.

Core 2 Duo E4400 (C) DC 2.0 GHz

Chip set is 945G (a very old intel chip sets, way older that Q43 super old. (2010 old in fact) age of chips MATTER TOO.OK?

I have this 945g here in the lab running windows 10 ,64bit with a Pentium 4, 651 chip. (the oldest that can , dig?)

here is just the CHIPset rules for only 945G, ok.

I have the 651 here, and works.

which one is best , Dell does not know, how could the, see the huge huge list>?

why not use a bench mark site to learn what works , real folks real A6120n

wow only 2 hits out of 40million did,. I wonder why, yah too old and too slow, and many are DEAD now.

only this Pentium D 2.80GHz(world wide there)

all CPU that match your 945g !

http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Intel_(chipsets)/945G_Express.html

NO warranty answers by me.
HP Recommended

the core2 duo runs but not quads.

everyone tells it will not work

and the intel data sheet is now missing. on 945g

or id read it to you.

but toms says no, hard.

pick a nice DUO,  spec a whopping $4for one, and tell your story, i have tried, at least 6 CPU on this board, (my notes, I keep)

does P4-651 best. 64b it w10
the best CPU is Core DUO,
E6700, 2.66 GHz, FSB 1066 MHz, L2 4 MB 65watts

but may run 1066 slower.

if wiser and still bottom fishing find Q43 chip set PC (1000  exist). and run CORE2 QUAD.

even better by far is HP z600.  One nice older PCs, this. a tank and will out last me.

or dells 3020 MT , optiplex seen on fleabay for $50 bucks,  lots,   and runs core i7 gen 4 all day long.>,has a future  !!!

HP Recommended

hello :

bertram02

that E6700 works, (no quad does)

but will not run at 1066mHz FSB,   most motherboards would not do that. (not saying what HP  can do here ,ever)

my guess is 800MHz tops. but ,  here a toast to  more. cling !😃

so best CPU is not  a hard answer,  but DUAL core is.   CORE2 beats Pentium Ds

so only the FSB limits are your answer.  why make this so hard, why not buy the E6700 and use it for $4. 

the CPU this old are like 1/4 the cost of  pack of CIGS on NYC,   (I love that old skool analog, and is funny , i hope)

what stops you from doing the work here,  or 4 bucks, 

the benchmark sites all show zero hits for this old dog, and 40million users,  nobody is doing this but  you,

I do it too, but I'm testing for oldest PCs that run w10 -64 and now I KNOW THIS.

on this PC its P4-651, ( must end in 1 or the LAHF key instruction set , is dead, 531 good too.

the fastest is the CORE2 as the 945G data sheet shows. (i collect what intel pitches in the dumpster as they did(PDF)

the HP site shows how to flash BIOS, I user freedos , safest way in the world, (unless a new PC has bios ez-flash or has linux flash. oK.

really get Q43 to run quad.  if all you have is $10 for mobo,  endless sold, nobody wants them so price is ZIP.

supply and demand wins (endless  over none)

also consider this, most pros., long ago forgot what any 945g can do,   (water under the bridge and all that)

many will look and stare and wonder why dumper diving is fun....  no really, why?

like i SAID I HAVE a 945g here, and runs W10 64bit fully, MS PnP not one issue.  19 years old.

and mine mandated BIOS upgrade, for sure, to even gain P4 HT newest chip! and for sure CORE 2. DUO

no w10 did not complicate matters why would it? unless updates are fearful?

w10 32bit runs all day here, (cpu matched up correctly ask)

did you read the BIOS page at hp.com for your PC"   read all comments on that page for the newest BIOS.

it tells you what you can  do and how.

that pages even covers,  doing so and NO WINDOWS there, nor any linux , even no HDD nor NOW SDD.

we boot a boot stick to freedos and burn the EEPROM FIRMWARE that is what we do.

see the words, USB flash recover here,  bingo,

wow HP lost your BIOS files,  GONE !

and they take up almost no space.  (less than the users manual PDF) wow.

ok now I feel your pain, it is real.

HP Recommended

Thanks for all the info and your patience.  I did find another forum where the E6700 CPU was recommended.  I am going to stick with this machine, since I will just end up donating it anyway.  Everything will work well enough with a bios upgrade and a better CPU.  Since the OS is no longer Vista, it will be more difficult to update the bios.  But I am assuming I can use a bootable drive with the exe file I was able to find online for version 5.23 and change the boot order.  I will check out freedos.  Which bios version were you running with the E6700 CPU?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.