Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Compaq 8200 Elite SFF PC
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

We're technological dinosaurs so any provided guidance should be in stone-age terminology that a late 70’s user can understand.  We’ve spent several hours on the HP Support Assistant site with zero-point-nothing success, which is why we’re here asking for the community’s advice. 

We added 3 more Crucial 4 GB memory sticks and cannot get our old desktop to recognize it.

The system specs of this desktop are:

HP Compaq 8200 Elite SFF PC; Windows 7 Professional; installed as 64 bit

Processor Intel Core i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz 7.4;

Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB 5.9;

Primary hard disk 153GB Free (225GB;

Network Adapter, Intel 82579LM Gigabit

Network Connection; Network Adapter, Linksys AE2500;

Network Adapter, Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter;

Network Adapter, PRIVATE WiFi Adapter.

When we installed the new sticks, we wiped the contacts with 91% alcohol, put them in, removed them and put them in again 3 times to make sure we had good contacts with the motherboard.

We would certainly appreciate advice any of you can provide so we don’t have to take this machine to the repair shop, something we really can’t afford.

We asked for help on a well-known support site and after several exchanges, got the following response:

“Unfortunately I don't think I'm going to be of much help here. I would point you at the HP support site and see if you can get assistance there.

“I see two possible issues:

“1) BIOS settings, as you mentioned. That you're not getting into BIOS is odd, though. Since that can vary from machine to machine, it's the HP people that should be able to tell you what the right thing to do would be.

This is the part of my message referenced above on BIOS access  ………We’ve read something in the BIOS needs to be changed, but each time we try to access it by pressing either F8, F2 or the Delete keys at a fresh start-up, all we get is a System Diagnostics option, which we've done twice (for 41 minutes each time), or exit, so I must be doing something wrong.

“2) RAM capacity: I looked, and while I can see that your machine has 4 memory slots, I can't see what the maximum amount of RAM that motherboard supports. Again, HP would have to tell you.

“Sorry I can't offer more. Good luck!”

Thank you.

Lee

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi:

If the memory is compatible, it is plug and play, meaning nothing more needs to be done but to properly install the memory.

I have two HP 8200 Elite CMT's both running with 4 x 8 GB of memory.

Is the PC working fine after you installed the memory, but the extra 12 GB is not being recognized?

Is the PC not booting up and giving you a 5 beep code with the power LED flashing red?

If it is the first one, then you have not properly seated the memory in the memory slot.

You have to really press down firmly on the memory chip so it locks those two clips in place.

If it is the second one, install each memory chip one at a time turning on the PC afterward and see what happens.

Did you refer to chapter 8, pages 168 - 171 of the service manual for how to properly install the memory?

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04224518

HP Recommended

these systems are more picky about ram than most other systems, due to this i recommend you visit a memory makers website and use the online ram selector

https://www.crucial.com/store/advisor

the system has 2 memory channels A/B with the first dimm placed in the black socket farthest from the cpu

the sec dimm is placed in the white socket farthest from the cpu this fills up the first memory "A" channel

note that you must populate at least the farthest black dimm socket for the system to boot

improper ram will either not boot (six beeps/red light) or will not work with two or more dimms

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.