Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
580-023w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My 580-023w came with 4GB of 2400Mhz RAM. I just upgraded my system by replacing it with 2x8GB 2400Mhz RAM modules. However, in BIOS and in Windows, it's showing this new RAM to be running at 2133Mhz.

The HP product page for the 580-023w says it has the Odense2-K motherboard, which supports 2400Mhz.  I have looked everywhere in the BIOS for memory/frequency/XMP settings but cannot find them.

For reference here is what came installed in my 580-023w:

2x Samsung 4GB 1Rx16 PC4-2400T-UC0-11

And here is what I installed:

2x ADATA 8GB XPG Z1 DDR4-2400

How can I get my new 2400Mhz RAM to run at 2400Mhz on my 580-023w?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi

HP does not provide XMP profiles in the BIOS.

I would suspect the factory RAM ran at 2133 MHz.

Without XMP support it is not possible to run faster RAM at it's rated speed.

Your PC  would also probably not boot if you installed 2666 MHz or greater RAM as it is not supported on your MB.

Tom

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
HP Recommended

Hi

Your PC ships with an Intel H170 chipset. The specs state the MB will support PC4-19200 (DDR4-2400) (with Pavilion Power chassis only). Do you have the Pavilion Power chassis?

The base supported memory speed is 2133MHz. HP, generally, does not provide XMP settings in the BIOS.

Did you ever check the memory speed of the factory installed memory to verify it was running at 2400MHz?

Try resetting the BIOS to defaults.

Tom

HP Recommended

> My 580-023w came with 4GB of 2400Mhz RAM.

In BIOS and/or in Windows, was it showing this old RAM to be running at that speed?

> I just upgraded my system by replacing it with 2x8GB 2400Mhz RAM modules.

> However, in BIOS and in Windows, it's showing this new RAM to be running at 2133Mhz.

Hmm.

HP Recommended

Hi Grzwacz, thanks for your response.

I saw that the specs support DDR4-2400 **with Pavilion Power chassis only. I am not sure where to verify 100% on the model of my chassis, but I have to assume it's the Pavilion Power chassis because my product is called "HP Pavilion Power Desktop". Also, the RAM included with my 580-023w is Samsung DDR4 @2400Mhz.

Unfortunately, I did not verify the speed of my stock RAM before I installed the new RAM. My friend suggested that the stock RAM could have been running at 2400 but when I swapped out the RAM modules, the motherboard reset to 2133. Could this be possible?

I can try to reinstall the stock 8GB of RAM that my 580-023w came with and see what speed it's running at, but if the motherboard was reset to 2133 somehow, I don't think this would fix anything.

I tried resetting the BIOS to defaults as you suggested, but the RAM is still clocking in at 2133Mhz.

HP Recommended

Hi mdklassen,

I am kicking myself now, because I did not verify that the stock 8GB of RAM that came with my 580-023w were indeed running at 2400Mhz. For all I know they were running at 2133Mhz from the start.

However, all the literature on the 580-023w shows that it supports up to 2400Mhz, and it came with 2400Mhz RAM so I had no reason to believe the RAM it came with was running at anything less than that.

Since the HP BIOS is locked and I can't manualy adjust XMP or memory frequency settings, I guess I have to live with the fact that my RAM will always run at 2133Mhz...which is a little disappointing considering it's advertised as supporting 2400Mhz.

HP Recommended

Hi

HP does not provide XMP profiles in the BIOS.

I would suspect the factory RAM ran at 2133 MHz.

Without XMP support it is not possible to run faster RAM at it's rated speed.

Your PC  would also probably not boot if you installed 2666 MHz or greater RAM as it is not supported on your MB.

Tom

HP Recommended

> Your PC  would also probably not boot if you installed 2666 MHz or greater RAM as it is not supported on your MB.

Fundamentally incorrect!

The SPD chip on the stick of RAM lists the "supported" speeds for the stick of RAM.

For example, my PC3-10700H (667 Mhz) RAM's SPD reads:

JEDEC #1 444.4 MHz 6.0 6 6 16 23 1.500 V
JEDEC #2 592.6 MHz 8.0 8 8 22 30 1.500 V
JEDEC #3 666.7 MHz 9.0 9 9 24 34 1.500 V

My motherboard picked what is compatible with it from the listed capabilities of the stick of RAM.

The SPD on a stick of 2666 MHz RAM probably lists both 2400 MHz and 2133 Mhz as supported options.

So, a motherboard that maxes-out at 2400 MHz will boot if the RAM can "step-down" from 2666 to 2400 Mhz.

QED

HP Recommended

Hi

Ignore other responses to this thread.

There be trolls in this forum.

Tom

HP Recommended

Hi

Maybe the "Dean" will buy a 2500MHz or greater memory stick and ship it to you so you can see what happens.:smileysurprised:

Motherboard OEM's don't compile compatible memory lists because they have downtime.

Hey, try the memory the Dean is going to send to you.

I stand corrected by a greater power if the memory works.

Tom

HP Recommended

I can confirm the original RAM running at 2400 speed (via Speecy).

Original RAM Slot #2
    Type    Unknown
    Size    4096 MBytes
    Manufacturer    Hyundai Electronics
    Max Bandwidth    DDR4-2400 (1200 MHz)
    Part Number    HMA851U6AFR6N-UH

I added an 8GB stick of 2400 GSkill RAM and am only getting getting the following 2132 speed, which makes no sense!  Clearly the board and Orig stick run at 2400, so why does other 2400 RAM not run at that speed??  It even states its running in XMP!?!

Slot #1
    Type    Unknown
    Size    8192 MBytes
    Manufacturer    G.Skill
    Max Bandwidth    DDR4-2132 (1066 MHz)
    Part Number    F4-2400C15-8GIS
    SPD Ext.    XMP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.