Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z420
Other

Hello. 

I have Z420 PN: 619557-001 with last version of BIOS J61 v03.96. I Change the CPU to E5-2695 V2 but I dont have post. I reset the CMOS and still don't have post. The Cooling is custom and the power supply is 500W 80+ Bronze. I try E5-2620 and E5 1620 and everything works. The purpose for the upgrade is for testing VM's and Hypervisors. RAM 32GB and 64GB kit is HP certified. The chipset C602 shod support E5-2695 V2 http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Intel_(chipsets)/C602.html. 

I'm open for any suggestions.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Solution :  github.com/SuperThunder/HP_Z420_Z620_Z820_BootBlock_Upgrade

My way was with removing the chip from the motherboard and read it with Minipro TL866CS
Everything else I follow the tutorial.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

All HP workstations only support specific CPU's for a specific workstation model, (and motherboard boot block date), and these are listed in the appropriate HP quickspecs document. Please see this link for the Z420 quickspecs. Although some forum users may have reported success with certain non-listed CPU's, you will usually find it's E5-16xx v1 version listed, e.g. E5-2680 v1 might work - I can't say for sure or give a specific example but searching the forum is always a good place to start.

Important - You need to know your Z420 boot block date which is listed in the BIOS. if it's 2013 you can install a v2 Xeon. If it's prior to 2013 only v1 Xeon CPU's are supported. You can not upgrade the boot block date on the motherboard.

HP Z620 - Liquid Cooled E5-1680v2 @4.7GHz / 64GB Hynix PC3-14900R 1866MHz / GTX1080Ti FE 11GB / Quadro P2000 5GB / Samsung 256GB PCIe M.2 256GB AHCI / Passmark 9.0 Rating = 7147 / CPU 17461 / 2D 1019 / 3D 14464 / Mem 3153 / Disk 15451 / Single Threaded 2551
HP Recommended

I' m screwed 😞 Boot Block Date: 12/28/2011 

OK is there a difference  between Z420 v1 and v2 on a hardware aspect or is a different software on a rom chip for this Boot Block?

If there is now difference on a hardware and is a rom, eprom chip is it possible to remove the chip put it on a programmer (MiniPRO)  and program it whit new Boot Block?

HP Recommended

that was my thinking about the boot block as well since I have a 2011 and I think I have run into something somewhere ion the Internet where someone has done this.  Although as cheap as the motherboard is, a quick swap will be much easier.

HP Recommended

Solution :  github.com/SuperThunder/HP_Z420_Z620_Z820_BootBlock_Upgrade

My way was with removing the chip from the motherboard and read it with Minipro TL866CS
Everything else I follow the tutorial.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.