Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have about a four year old computer that was perking along just fine in Win 7. Since changing to Win 10, nothing has gone right. Things mess up, correct themselves, and then mess up again.  For example, for most of the time since the change, my #2 monitor has gone green. About a week ago, it corrected itself and was back as it should be. Today, it is green again.

I have had no sound since the change even though Troubleshooting assured me that all was well with my Boston speakers. Thinking that the speakers might be defective, I bought a cheap set of Logitech speaker so see if they would work. I am told that they are not plugged in even though I have checked all the plugs and the light is on.

Last week, my desktop migrated to monitor #2 and i could not find a way to get it back. After several reboots it moved back to the normal position but all of my icons were scattered and I had to reorganize them. When I Hibernate and then turn the computer back on, I get a black screen with the blue window but never get the spinning wheel. I have to do a hard turnoff for it to reboot.  I get a message that DVI and VGA have no signal.

I hate to play the geratric card but, people, I am older than dirt and I don't need this frustration. I spend every spare minute in forums and have read and read to no avail. I am at a loss as to what to do now. I am not even sure that I am posting in the correct forum. I have begun to think that the best possible outcome would be to get a new computer running Win 7. I don't want to take this one back to 7 because I think 10 has screwed up too many things. I know I am venting but any help and advice will be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @bargrid

I can understand your frustrations.  I have been in your position many times in my 30+ years of using and working on computers.  In fact, I am here helping you because of help that I received here when I was at the point of throwing my new HP computer out the door.:smileytongue:

Here is the manual for the speakers:

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/media/i3d/01/A/man-migrate/MANUAL000010448.pdf

On Page 3 it shows how to connect them.  Since you only have one plug, I suggest plugging it into everyone of the ports on the back of your computer.  Keep the volume down so if there is a loud noise when plugged into a wrong port, it won't scare you or blow the speakers.  As I said, I have two plugs for my speakers.  I had to do exactly that when I connected them to my new HP loaner computer.  Let me know what happens.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

@bargrid, welcome to the forum.

Well, I don't know how old dirt is, but I have to be getting close to as old as it, also.

I feel your pain!!  Win 10 has definitely provided some challenges.  Your best option is to run HP and Windows Updates to see if there are any software and driver updates.  Since HP doesn't provide Win 10 updates at the request of Microsoft because Win 10 has many drivers embedded, this is the only way to update.

For the sound, go into the Control Panel / Sound and check that your speakers are set to Default.  This has been one of those challenges.  Normally, the settings are the problem.

HP Recommended

@old_geekster wrote:

@bargrid, welcome to the forum.

Well, I don't know how old dirt is, but I have to be getting close to as old as it, also.

I feel your pain!!  Win 10 has definitely provided some challenges.  Your best option is to run HP and Windows Updates to see if there are any software and driver updates.  Since HP doesn't provide Win 10 updates at the request of Microsoft because Win 10 has many drivers embedded, this is the only way to update.

For the sound, go into the Control Panel / Sound and check that your speakers are set to Default.  This has been one of those challenges.  Normally, the settings are the problem.

Thank you so much for responding,  old geekster.  as i don't feel quite so alone. I did as you directed and under Playback I had this -Digital Audio (S/PDif) - and the default was grayed out at the bottom. Above that I saw - Speakers not plugged in. This may be true. I plugged the black cord of the speaker into the black USB port, not knowing if that was the correct one.  The power cord is plugged in as the light in on.  Did I mention that I bought new Logitech speakers as I thought my other ones might be too old to work with Win 10.  It has been suggested that I uninstall 10 and do a clean reinstall. What do you think of that?

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @bargrid.  Thank you for the additional information.

Before you go back to a different OS, it would help me if I knew the full model of your computer.  I will review the specs to see if I can help you further.

HP Recommended

I have tried to use your computer information as a guide so here is what I have gleaned:

Windows 10 Home

H-P Pavilion  [four years old]

AMD processor, 6 core, 3.30 GH

6 gb of ram

64 bit OS

Tell me if you need more information and I will try to find it. I am so confused that things self-correct and then revert.  For instance, my 2nd monitor that showed green self-corrected last week but is now green again. How is this happening? When I turn off the computer or put it in Hibernate, I have to do a hard off and then turn it back on.  I was seeing a pop up that said DVI and VGA unplugged. I presumed this was the problem. Now I see DVI active but VGA still isn't. Again, this is nothing that I did.

I date from DOS, do you?

HP Recommended

Yes, I do date from DOS!---thus, old_geekster.  I actually was able to run all of the commands from memory.  Of course, that was when I had a memory. :TongueOut:

I would appreciate the model of the computer.  Here is a guide to help you find it.

HP Recommended

I had no idea there were so many Pavilions. Mine is HPE. Product # QC456AV#ABA. Model # h8-1100z. I now have my 2nd monitor blue screen back but that has happened before and it has turned to green again.  The two things that are vexing me right now are the no sound and having to do a hard turn off and then back on after either Hibernating or doing a Turn off from the Power Options. There was an upgrade when I turned the computer back on today so I plan to go through all the suggested steps again to try to get sound.  I am thinking that I probably need an H-P driver but have no idea how to go about getting that. Will let you know if I am successful.

When I would turn the computer on I would see a message flash on the screen that DVI and VGA were no connected or some such.  Now the message reads that DVI is active but not VGA. I thought perhaps this is where my bootup problem lay but have no idea how to correct it.

I certainly appreciate your interest.

HP Recommended

Here is the best way to check for drivers:

Capture23.PNG

Go into the Device Manager / each section that I have circled / right click on your driver / select Udate Driver Software / Search automatically for updated drivers.  It there are new drivers, they will be found and installed.  I use this method even though I have Automatic Updates selected.  This way I know which driver was updated without having to search if there is a problem.

HP Recommended

Following your instructions I found

Monitor:  generic non-PnP , working properly, drivers are up to date

Under Sound:

Hi Def Audio Device, working properly,  installed NVIDIA

IDT Hi Def Audio CODEC, working properly, up to date

The monitor is still green. When I get the time, I am going to try another monitor that I have as I have read that it could be a faulty monitor. Funny that it just got faulty when I changed to Win 10.

Still no sound. Let's talk about where I have it plugged in in the back of my tower. I have  two rows of 3 ports, variously colored. Does it matter into which I have the speakers plugged?

I certainly appreciate your patience in working with me.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @bargrid.  I am glad to help you until there are no more options.

Here are the Back I/O ports for the computer:

IO ports.PNG

I have older speakers.  I have two RCA jacks.  They plugged into what would be 5 and 6 in the diagram.  I would like to see your speakers.  What is the full model of them?  I will be able to tell you more when I see them.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.