Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I want to install a BluRay player. I have removed the current DVD drive but I cannot get the plastic fascia off the front. Having seen other fascia removed on YouTube I cannot see the locking pins they refer to. I have tried to gently prise it off / slide it off but it just seem to put a strain on the DVD player's leading edge. I do not want to exert too much force in case I break it. I am beginning to think it is a permanently assembled part specially for the Omen. I have contacted HP & their parts department who have, quite frankly, been useless (and not for the first time, I am still struggling to replace a battery for an Omen laptop I have). 

Does anyone know if the fascia can be removed & fitted to another optical drive and, if yes, how? If it cannot be removed, do HP supply a BluRay drive for the Omen and how can I get HP to sell me one (they don't even recognise the part number - 849055-6C1- on the current drive!!)? Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yeah, it's definitely doable, have actually done the same few months ago when I upgraded to BD (BU40N) drive myself.

Process is somewhat flimsy - be careful not to damage the plastic pins - but when you follow the advices closely and perform the act carefully, all will be well.

This movie was of help in my case:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXhpu3JUkNU

One warning: you will most likely have to think about upgrading PowerDVD player as the one shipped with your Omen (it was Power Media Player 14 in my case) will not play any BR movies...

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Yeah, it's definitely doable, have actually done the same few months ago when I upgraded to BD (BU40N) drive myself.

Process is somewhat flimsy - be careful not to damage the plastic pins - but when you follow the advices closely and perform the act carefully, all will be well.

This movie was of help in my case:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXhpu3JUkNU

One warning: you will most likely have to think about upgrading PowerDVD player as the one shipped with your Omen (it was Power Media Player 14 in my case) will not play any BR movies...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.