Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 700-406
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP Envy 700-406 with a A10-7700k and a GTX 750ti graphics card.  When I'm gaming, rendering a video, or any other CPU intensive task, HWmonitor reports temps in the 95C range.  I know this is extremely unsafe, to run a cpu at this temperature, but the BIOS won't even ramp up the fans the slightest bit when the cpu is this hot.  Any ideas why?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Wheatfield, welcome to the forum.

The first thing that I would do is update the BIOS.  Here is the HP Software and Driver Download page for the motherboard.  There are three updates available.  You would use the update for SSID: 2B17 motherboard.  Here is what the update fixes:

Fix and enhancements:

- Enhanced CPU fan curve.

- Fixed issue where "Data Execution Prevention" information will incorrectly show under Windows 7 operating system after disabling "Data Execution Prevention" in BIOS Setup Menu.

- Improved security of UEFI code and variables. HP strongly recommends promptly transitioning to this updated BIOS version which supersedes all previous releases.

NOTE: Due to security changes, after this BIOS update is installed, previous versions cannot be reinstalled.

The first item is what may help solve your problem.  You should be extremely careful to follow the instruction when you do the update.  A failed BIOS update can brick your computer.

The next step would be to download one of the many apps that will allow you to adjust the CPU fan speed.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Wheatfield, welcome to the forum.

The first thing that I would do is update the BIOS.  Here is the HP Software and Driver Download page for the motherboard.  There are three updates available.  You would use the update for SSID: 2B17 motherboard.  Here is what the update fixes:

Fix and enhancements:

- Enhanced CPU fan curve.

- Fixed issue where "Data Execution Prevention" information will incorrectly show under Windows 7 operating system after disabling "Data Execution Prevention" in BIOS Setup Menu.

- Improved security of UEFI code and variables. HP strongly recommends promptly transitioning to this updated BIOS version which supersedes all previous releases.

NOTE: Due to security changes, after this BIOS update is installed, previous versions cannot be reinstalled.

The first item is what may help solve your problem.  You should be extremely careful to follow the instruction when you do the update.  A failed BIOS update can brick your computer.

The next step would be to download one of the many apps that will allow you to adjust the CPU fan speed.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

Thanks bro

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @Wheatfield.

HP Recommended

I flashed the BIOS and it worked great!

HP Recommended

Thank you for the followup.  I appreciate knowing that you didn't have any problems with the BIOS update.

HP Recommended

My Envy 700-406 is about 2 years old.  It has been randomly freezing since I updated from Windows 8.1 to 10 over a year ago.  I've tried everything to troubleshoot and resolve this including a complete reinstall of Windows 10.  This was within the last 30 days so it is currently Windows 10 Creator edition.

I've uninstalled all unnecessary software and even ran the UEFI Diagnostics (Complete diags) for 3 passes in the hopes that something would show up.  Nothing happened.  All tests passed.

I've tried updating the BIOS but cannot find any new BIOS files.  I've gone to the Software & Drivers page for this model but there is no entry for BIOS.  The currently installed BIOS is AMD 80.12 11/03/2015.

When the system freezes, all I can do is hold the power button in until the system shuts down.  I've checked the System logs and find nothing to indicate what may be causing the freezing.

The last thing I tried was installing Speccy to check on the components.  This did show that the CPU temp was over 80 degrees Centigrade.  I know this is too high.  Can that be the cause of this issue?  I've checked that both fans (CPU and Case) are working.  I just don't know if they're working as they should be.

Please help!  Today, the system has frozen at least 10 times in the last 3 hours.

Clem

HP Recommended
Is the CPU heat sink filled with dust? Also check the thermal paste to make sure it hasn't turned crusty.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick response.  Unfortunately, checking the heatsink for "dust bunnies" is the first thing I did.  I just installed a new CPU Cooler and found that the thermal paste (which I replaced with the new cooler) was still soft.

After installing the new cooler, the system still froze randomly.

At this point, as a last resort, I've installed a separate Graphics card and disabled the onboard graphics.  Hopefully, there was a hidden issue with either the graphics chip itself or the drivers.  We'll see!  It's been 3 hours since I installed the card and turned the system on.  So far, no freezing. 

Keep your fingers crossed!

Thanks again...

Clem

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.