Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z200
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, 

I'm having some problems with my pc. It's a HP Z200 workstation with productnumber KK667ET#AK6 and it has a intel i5 core 660 @ 3.33 Ghz with 4GB standard and a Hitachi Serial ATA of 320 GB's. Since then I've added 2 extra SATA discs (one with 1TB and another with 240GB) and it all worked perfectly. Now I've bought an extra SDD (240GB) to make it so that my system's on that disk and I wanted to add some additional memory to get to 16GB (which is the max if I'm not mistaken). When I added the SDD and installed my windows on that system, it was no problem. So I've added the memory also which is 4 x 4 GB of 1333Mhz (2 from samsung and 2 from Hyper X Fury) and from that point on my system didn't want to boot anymore. I removed the last added memory to see which one worked and which one didn't. First I tried the Samsung ones (cause these were the ones I just bought so I knew these had to be okay) and this wasn't a problem. I removed those and I tried the Hyper X Fury ones and this is where the issues started to begin. My system recognized the memory but it didn't find my booting system. It said my MBR changed so I tried to reinstall a copy from my bios and then it told me it couldn't find a system on my SDD.. I tried to reinstall my system via USB and this wouldn't work. He kept on giving me a BSOD with error involving iaStorAVA.sys. Nothing I did could make my system reinstall. So I removed the RAM and I put the Samsung ones back in there to see if I could repair my software. Then I had the possibility to reinstalll/repair my system, but it couldn't find any windows to boot from. So I thought let me put the Hyper X ram one last time to make sure these were the problem and do a Memory test, and while doing the test my pc just shut down and started to beep 3 times with a red power light and that for 4 times until the sound stopped but the red light kept on flashing. Now it doesn't even matter which memory banks I enter, he keeps on giving me the same beeps?

I tried everything, a power reset, I unplugged everything and put it back together. I've tried to put the original memory banks in my computer and still the same thing? Is there anything I can do to fix this or do I really have to bring it to the store for to let it repair?

If anybody has any experience or even an idea of what I could do, I'd like to hear it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

No not really.  There is more than 1 for that range I believe.

Partsurfer by HP may help.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi

Recovery Media often looks for a HDD spec as per original size, so try the original disk first.

Hopefully one of these documents will cover (and solve) your problem...

https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c00042629

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02693833

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thansks for the info, but I got some more questions now. The original disk is still connected to my PC and somehow it won't even try to give me recovery option and since it's just a black screen with just beeping. I tried to flash my PC but my PC doesn't even start anymore, he just beeps. The CPU-fan isn't moving and the NUM-lock doesn't even light up..

So I'm afraid I can't get into my BIOS or anything else at that point.. I've tried to remove my RAM, HDD, SDD and reconnect everything but he keeps beeping 3 times in a sequence of 5 times. (So beep beep beep, pauze, beep beep beep and that in a total of 5 times) 

Does that mean that my system's entirely fried or what do you think?

If you have any suggestions, shoot!

HP Recommended

Hi

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07107

Depending on the vendor....

You get a LONG (MAJOR) signal category, RED LED &

then a SHORT (MINOR) signal category, WHITE LED.

Major – the category of the error; Minor – specific error in that category

The AUDIBLE repeats 5 times, and the VISUAL until power is removed.

Power button LED blinks 5 times with 5 beeps

Memory

Reseat memory DIMM modules. If the problem is not resolved, contact support to resolve a possible RAM or Main-Board failure.

LED blinks 5 times

Main-Board

General Main-Board failure.

Test the Main-Board with the minimum hardware and reseat all the connections.

If the error persists, replace the Main-Board.

FATAL ERRORS RELATED TO THE

OPERATION OF CRITICAL MAIN BOARD

COMPONENTS:-

SUCH AS THE CPU.

Caps/Num lock lights = 5 blinks - System board error

HP Recommended

Hi,

I've tried to reseat the DIMM-modules in every possible way. I've tried with the original ones, with only 2, then with only one and still same error. What I haven't tried is to start it up with minimal hardware. But if this doesn't work that means it could be that my motherboard or the CPU is the issue then?

Just to be sure we're on the same page.

HP Recommended

Hi

CPU or Main Board is my conclusion, given that I can't actually witness anything myself.

You description, and actions, do point to the inevitable.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Well **bleep**, that sucks. But if I'm not mistaken, it's better I replace both just to be safe then?

HP Recommended

Hi

Well the MAIN BOARD first as the problem looked like a RAM issue at one point, is my assessment, then .....

HP Recommended

By any chance an idea of what main board would be the best for the Z200 nowadays? Because just buying the same won't fix it I guess?

HP Recommended

No not really.  There is more than 1 for that range I believe.

Partsurfer by HP may help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.