Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion p7-1003w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am using a Pavilion p7-1003w desktop.  The system worked fine at night then the next morning no boot. I believe there was a storm and am assuming that the power went out during the night. The system and all components are on multiple surge protectors.

The issue: I am getting power (250w PSU), solid green light on back of the PSU. Also used a PSU tester and got a green light.

The motherboard has a solid green light in the corner.

The power button has no light when pressed.

Both the case fan and CPU fan goes on without any pause or stoppage. 

The PC does not beep when the power button is pressed.

The CD ROM drive appears to work fine. 

When the power button is pushed, the monitor displays the video source search as usual, however this time it does not find                            one, then the monitor goes to sleep( this is normal behavior for this PC when no video source is detected).

External hardware such as mouse, keyboard and usb hub are not lighting or getting power.

This PC uses a SATA drive.

PC also has a internal multi card reader, not working (connected directly to MB).

Solution steps taken: I have tried all the options listed for a hard reset.

Removed all components and individually replaced and powered on and drained each part.

Removed and replaced CMOS battery and tried with a new one.

Tried  other outlets with and without protection

Monitor works fine when connected to a laptop as a display device.

All other hardware that was attached is working fine when connected to a laptop.

Can anyone help? I am out of ideas and due to Covid restrictions testing centers or techs are closed around my area. 

My thought is that this could be a MB issue and that it may have surged and needs to be replaced. If that is the case, when upgrading or replacing, can my SATA drive that contains the OS an everything simply be installed to the new system MB assuming no damage has been done. 

Or does this sound like a PSU issue that I'm missing or worse?

PS. Hardware upgrade is not out of the question since I have the hard drive and memory from this system

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Update on the power problem.  IT was the motherboard that shorted out, all other components were good.  Had to replace with an exact OEM board. Thanks for your help

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@tonyluke , welcome to the forum.

It sounds like a PSU problem to me.  One of the main reasons is the age of the computer.  It was released in 2011.  This means that the PSU has been living on borrowed time for quite awhile.  They can test good, but not be able to generate enough power to boot the computer.  I have seen this happen a lot over the years.  You can check the capacitors on the motherboard to see if any of them are bulging: Bulging-top.jpg

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, I did check the capacitors on the MB. They all appeared to be flat

HP Recommended

Update

I bought a Corsair 650 PSU hooked it up and no luck. Still the same issue.  I guess my next step is too take it in for a diagnosis.

Any thoughts

HP Recommended

Update on the power problem.  IT was the motherboard that shorted out, all other components were good.  Had to replace with an exact OEM board. Thanks for your help

HP Recommended

You are very welcome, @tonyluke!  Thank you for the update on your situation.  It is very rare, but occasionally the motherboard does fail.  It is always the last component that I suspect for a problem.  When there is a surge the PSU is the normal first suspect.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.