Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z640 workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have this PCI Express x1 card that I was using in my HP P7-1459 (see motherboard). I am trying to install it in my  new (refurbished) Z640. The PCIe slots on both motherboards look the same, but I cannot seem to get the card seated in the slots. I applied pressure, but didn't want to overdo it. The metal piece is where it should be, but it seems like the card is too thick(?) to fit.

The Z640 lists the slot as PCI Express Gen2 x1. The P7-1459 lists the slot as PCIEx1. Are these two ways of saying the same thing? Or are these different in some way?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome back to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

I see HP specifications showing three PCIe x1 (Gen2.0 slots) on the Joshua motherboard per your (Link).

The 1394a Firewire adapter card should fit in both motherboards if the Z640 has compatible PCIe x1 expansion slots. The Z640 has one PCIe x1 slot per the user guide (Link). 

You may have open x4 and x8 slots on the Z640. Try one of the other slots.

Regards

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome back to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

I see HP specifications showing three PCIe x1 (Gen2.0 slots) on the Joshua motherboard per your (Link).

The 1394a Firewire adapter card should fit in both motherboards if the Z640 has compatible PCIe x1 expansion slots. The Z640 has one PCIe x1 slot per the user guide (Link). 

You may have open x4 and x8 slots on the Z640. Try one of the other slots.

Regards

HP Recommended

With the confidence that you supplied that it should fit, I tried again -- this time looking at the way the card was going in from the other side -- and it worked. Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi ThumperStrauss,

You're very welcome.

Great!

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.