Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Good morning !
I WILL THANK YOU FOR HELP AND SUPPORT  !!!

My computer is HP690
My computer consists of two SEPARATE physical disks.

-SSD 256 GB SK Hynix BC501

-HDD 1800 GB Toshiba DTO1ACA200
An operating system is installed on one physical SSD drive. Windows 10 64 bit 1903 system.
The second separate hard disk HDD has a capacity of approximately 1800 GB,
I wanted to partition the second hard drive HDD-1800GB.

1,Can I divide a disk D or is it better not to divide a disk D?
2, Partitioning disk D will not harm the disks C and D and the operating system Windows 10 itself?
For a better understanding, I attached a screenshot:

HP 690 Disk Management.jpg

When dividing the 1800 GB volume, I wanted to choose a volume of 1200 GB, the Disk Management program only gives me the opportunity to select approximately 900 GB.
3.To avoid this problem, can I delete volume D before partitioning?
Before partitioning, can I delete volume D?
4.Can it affect other volumes? -Delete volume D?
5.How to properly perform this separation using Windows 10 1903?
6.How many partitions should a disk be divided into?
7.An increase in the number of partitions on the second physical disk affects the performance of the operations. Windows 10 systems?
THANK YOU FOR HELP AND SUPPORT  !!!

BEST REGARDS, Grigoriy.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome back to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

Why do you want to create more partitions on the DATA disk?

You don't have much data on the disk now (97% free space). Create folders to segment data.

I don't see why you would want to create multiple disk partitions on the large HDD.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thanks so much for the letter!

1.I want to store movies, music on one section ( partion 1 ) . In another section (partion 2), store my working data. In the third section (partion 3 )- backup copy of the Windows system image.

2.An increase in the number of partitions on the second physical disk affects the performance of the operations. Windows 10 systems?

3.Partitioning disk D will not harm the disks C and D and the operating system Windows 10 itself?

4.How can I contact employees of company HP in Future to resolve other issues

BEST REGARDS, Grigoriy.

HP Recommended

@grigtar,

I see two issues;

1) DISK0 should be the boot drive. You have switched the cabling.

2) The DATA drive (which should be DISK1) also have the Recovery partition.

I have done what you wanted, and then realized the fault of my logic. It was the dedication of GB to any exclusive partition. The answer is simple, just make a Main folder for each section. That way the hard drive is shared by all folders. It you were to allocate 1200,300,500 and any partition filled, you would have to shrink / expand partitions. That task is not for a non-professional. Even with my many decades of experience, I  would use a test drive to mimic shrinking or expanding any partition. Now I only use 500GB in the chassis, and use 1TB external USB3.0 drives or an ESata 1TB dock for extra storage.

What your overlooking it that 1800GB hard drive is spinning while not being fully utilized. Nothing more than being complacent about a massive hard drive.  Mechanical hard drives have a life or duty MTBF rate of 2-5 years. It is likely a year old.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Thanks for your letter!
  1.You do not recommend sharing a second physical disk D (1800 Gb ).

.Do I understand you correctly?

2..I want to store movies, music on one section ( partion 1 ) . In another section (partion 2), store my working data. In the third section (partion 3 )- backup copy of the Windows system image.

3.An increase in the number of partitions on the second physical disk affects the performance of the operations. Windows 10 systems?

4.Partitioning disk D will not harm the disks C and D and the operating system Windows 10 itself?

5.How can I contact employees of company HP in Future to resolve other issues

BEST REGARDS, Grigoriy.

HP Recommended

Hi Grigtar,

I would like to add to Wb2001's thoughts.

Where do you back up music, movies, working data now? I hope you have multiple offline backups of this stuff.

Second, backing up the current Windows installation image on an active disk as opposed to an off line disk exposes your Windows OS image backup to all of the bad stuff your PC may experience when connected to a network. This is not a good backup strategy.

Again, chunking up the DATA disk (Disk0) is unnecessary in this day and age. Doing this will not harm the small SSD (Disk1) containing the operating system.

Creating multiple partitions on the DATA disk (Disk0) will not affect the performance of the operating system disk (Disk1).

You can contact HP Support at this (Link).

Regards

HP Recommended

Thanks you vey much for your letter!
 Thanks you vey much for your HELP AND SUPPORT !!!

I would like to add that I have two separate physical drives -DISK -C (on which the Windows 10 operating system is installed) and a second separate physical drive DISK- D.

I don't have offline backups 

1..I want to store movies, music on one section ( partion 1 ) of DISK D. In another section (partion 2) of DISK D , store my working data . In the third section (partion 3 ) of DISK D- backup copy of the Windows system image.

2.You do not recommend sharing a second physical disk D (1800 Gb ).

.Do I understand you correctly?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!

BEST REGARDS. Grigoriy.

HP Recommended

Hi Grigoriy,

You're very welcome.

It's your PC. You can do whatever you want.

I know you have two physical disks.

Disk1 contains the operating system and is the boot dive, it is a small SSD.

Disk0 is a large platter HDD. You can store data on the large platter HDD.

But you should have multiple data backups stored on external media.  You should create multiple backup disk images on external media. HDDs fail. All storage media can fail at any time.

You are putting all of your eggs in one basket. You should also have offsite data backups.

Create as many partitions as you want on the large HDD.

Your decision.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.